Can I dry fire my Buckmark without....

.22's are not something that should be dryfired without a cushion under the firing pin. Look in the actions and you can see that the firing pin hits on the barell at the edge of the chamber. That's because it's a rimfire. Centerfire ammo has the primer in the center but in rimfire its on the edge of the cartridge so the FP hits on a spot that has steel under it if there is no cartridge. With a CF cartridge if there is no cartridge in the gun the FP his nothing but air.

Don't do it.

shiro

Mike,

I think it's bad to dry fire just about any .22 rimfire because of the potential for damage done by the firing pin striking the area at the edge of the chamber and deforming it, or so I've read. I'm not an expert on this, but I try to avoid dry-firing all my .22's as much as possible. I have dropped hammers when I was going to store a .22 for a long time to release the tension on the spring, but I wonder which is worse for the gun. I know when I had a Buckmark, I did this a few times and never saw any deformation - none that I could discern, anyway.

-10CFR

Some of your 22LR pistols have a firing pin block that will prevent the firing pin from mashing the side of the chamber. Wether a Buckmark has this feature? I don't know.

Preserve Freedom,

Yep, that's what I'm wondering about -- a firing pin block.

Rugers, I believe, can be dry fired without a problem because of their design.

dry firin .22s

The Browning Medalist had a dry firing feature where you pulled the safety out and back-as I recall- to activate it to avoid the damaged discussed. I had one of the prettiest stocked Medalists I've ever seen but my buddy needed it bad. There is a complete one at a local shop for $750. Great gun and it was a good investment but they seem to have topped out.
mac

I don't know about the Browning, but any recent Ruger .22 is safe to dryfire. Older rimfires frequently peen the chamber with excessive dryfiring.

snap caps

Mike,

Buy .22 LR snap caps. I am 90 percent sure that it is NOT safe to dry fire a Browning Buckmark. Don't take the risk, use snap caps (.22 snap caps are very cheap).

I dry fire my Rugers all of the time noting early on that the firing pins never touch the barrel.

My Hämmerli 280 came with bright orange rubber insert that goes into the chamber and is part of a tab that sticks out between the bolt and the barrel. The gun will fire just slightly out of battery (the thickness of the tab) so that dry firing can be performed on the gun, the firing pin hitting the rubber tab. I had manufactured my own little rubber tab for a FA .454C so that I can dry fire it. I've never noticed if the firing pin of the BM touches the barrel but if it does, you can try inserting a thin sheet of rubber or plastic between the bolt and barrel and dry fire it (if it will fire slightly out of battery, again I don't know if it can).

For cheap snap caps you can use the yellow drywall screw holders. They extract from my Ruger 22/45 flawlessley. The size is perfect. They are a hell of a lot cheaper than real snap caps and accomplish the same objective. I havn't tried feeding them from a magazine yet, but the night is still young.

Of course, your Ruger 22/45 has no need for snapcaps, since it's designed for all the dryfiring you can manage, chamber empty. :)

Back