Can I carry my gun over state lines?

hoosierboy

I am traveling to st. louis tommorrow. I have a concealed carry permit in Indiana and am wondering if I am able to take it with me or not. I am staying for about 3 days and then returning. Anybody know the answer?

Missouri has no ccw. If you take your pistol make sure it is unloaded and locked in your car's trunk seperately from the ammo. If, for whatever reason, a cop desides you've given him permission to search your car, you will spend some time is the 'splaining room. Be careful.

Unfortunately, your Indiana permit is worth nothing in any other state except Vermont, where anyone can carry concealed. Either leave the gun at home or exercise great discretion.

Jim

Actually, according to the NRA site and some digging in my own Hoosier documentation, that permit is good in Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, and Michigan. Basically the Indiana law says that any permit from a state that provides reciprocity to its permit (meaning the Indiana permit is valid there) will be valid in Indiana. According to the NRAILA, these states do provide reciprocity.

Unfortunately, this does not help you in Missouri at all.

bastage

[This message has been edited by Bastage (edited November 12, 1999).]

The resource I use shows Georgia, Idaho, Kentucky, Florida, Michigan, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota and Wyoming as states that may honor your Indiana CCW. Of course, this is still no joy in Missouri.

Here is a link to Missouri gun laws

Thank you so much for the information. I think I will leave it home although It's not what I really want. Unfortunately, I will be following the laws, but all the criminals wont. Isn't society great? I think we need more gun laws so I can feel safer haha.

Kinda funny how they all recognize driver licenses and not CCW'S the first deals with a privledge and the second a right (no pun intended) Maybe us little people should stop recognizing their authority?

Paranoia is not a good thing from any direction. I keep mine loaded, within reach, and out of sight whenever I travel, and shall continue to refuse to allow a search of my vehicle for any reason. OTOH, I have recently decided to answer truthfully any question from an LEO as to whether I am armed. If that's against the law (I have carried as described in DC, in complete and abject ignorance/uncaring about their laws) and an LEO wishes to arrest me for it, it's off to court we go, no bail, I want my guaranteed speedy public jury trial RIGHT NOW, and I mean today, what is the number for the press corps around here, and as Judge Mills Lane would say, "let's get it on!"

Hell, I'm retired, can spare a few years or the rest of my life. I ain't LOOKING for trouble, just see no reason to change my ways. Note I am NOT planning to pretend I have a CCL, but my car don't travel out of state without armament aboard.

If you are going to carry (illegally) in your car when you travel into a police state like Missouri, Illinois, Ohio, etc, you would do well to take some precautions. Yes, you may refuse to consent to a search and that may stop the cop. Or, he may see an old primer on the floor and use that for "probable cause."

If you are as devoted to carrying in this manner, I suggest you buy yourself one of those push-button combo-lock pistol safes and have it bolted (lagbolts) to the floor or tranny hump.

The cop will definately need a warrant to get into that special box. When he asks you what is in it say, "Legal private property sir." And later, "No, thank you officer, my lawyer would yell at me if I ever consented to a search."

As well, keep your car in good running order, with all equipment working. Once I stopped driving a junker and moved up to a new car, I haven't been pulled over in nine years.

Also, obey the traffic laws (no PC to pull you over). If you are pulled over, make sure your car is spotless. If it is spotless you won't have any tell-tale signs that you are a gun owner, like ammo receipts, an odd spent casing, or a Guns & Ammo magazine.

Oh, and one last thing. Vote those freakin' fascists out of office. Hell, run for office yourself or work on a pro-gunnie's campaign.

Rick
PS, I think Arizona now recognizes Indiana CCW. But you can carry openly in Arizona without a permit. "Open carry" here means "wholey or partially visible." So if any part of the gun or holster is visible under your T-shirt, you are quite legal.

PS2, "Reciprocity" is a sham. There are too many agreements that have to be obtained to do you much good. Have your legislators go for, or add, unilateral recognition. You will have more states allowing you to carry.
------------------
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American." Tench Coxe 2/20/1788

[This message has been edited by RickD (edited November 19, 1999).]

There is a good publication,"Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States", available at 606-647-5100.Fax number is 606-491-5400; cost is $15.95 It's written by a knowledgeable and firearms friendly lawyer. It was very helpful on a recent road trip through several states and cities, and national parks.

"Can I carry my gun over state lines?"

Are you asking our permission? Why yes, Hoosierboy, you can!! And for your security, I would encourage you to exercise that right.

After arduous research (2 seconds) I found that the Supreme Law of this land affirms your right to free travel AND to bear arms! (sorry no handy, blue-highlighted links on that little gem)

To do anything less implies admittance of legitimacy to the more recent, contrary and INVALID "laws".

Risky? Yes, freedom is.

since this is a personal protection issue...

i would think a faux 10 disk cd changer mounted under the seat would be a big enough box to hold a .45...

a dog might find it
i doubt a patrol officer would

a keltek could be stashed in behind a fake door speaker grill

ever see a removeable face plate, dash mounted stereo?

these are examples of normal guns in non standard "holsters"

in plain sight you could have a single shot
steering wheel "club"

just thinking out of the box again...

The average smart person is not a threat to the LEO. If they make it impossible for the law abiding person to legally protect themselves, the criminal class will gain new methodologies gleaned from the application of applied inteligence.

Making the LEO's job much more dangerous!

dZ

Back