Can anyone who is double-jointed give me some advice?

Sgt.Saputo

I'm not a huge pistol shooter, but after getting an FN Hi-Power I've been doing a fair amount of pistol shooting. I have a problem or rather an inconvenience, I'm double-jointed in my elbows. Now while this is a fun way to grab people's attention (I guess people think it's cool that I can bend my arms in ways they shouldn't be able to be bent, I don't know:D.), it makes shooting isosceles very awkward and uncomfortable for me. For now the most comfortable stance I have found is locking my right arm (Primary shooting hand is right.) straight and making a "V" with my left arm tilted at 90° angle to the left.

Can anyone else who is double jointed offer some possible pistol shooting tips and stances?

Thanks.

Being double jointed is a myth. You are just more flexible in the elbows. Shoot how ever you are comfortable but I do not lock my elbows anyway. I keep them slightly bent.

Beentown

Being double jointed is a myth

:confused: Really? My elbows bend in a completely different way than everyone else I know.

I was always told there were "proper" ways to shoot a pistol and I figured this way was "inproper"...

I dont know about the 90 degree part, but it sounds to me like you are describing a "Weaver stance". The Weaver stance is perfectly legitimate and is preferred by some of the best shooters in the world. The purpose is to better absorb and distribute the recoil and reduce the muzzle rise so as to allow quicker recovery. There has always been a lot of discussion, some of it quite heated as to which system, isocelese or Weaver is best.

I'm double jointed in my left thumb and slightly double jointed in both elbows. Isosceles has always felt & looked odd for me, so I prefer Weaver or Modified Weaver. I'm not sure if Isosceles gives all the support it's supposed to when the elbows bend a few degrees past normal.

I've grown to like Weaver a lot. My impression is, though, that it takes more practice to keep the shooting position & the forward/backward pressure of the hands consistent.

I have a friend who's freakishly double jointed just about everywhere.

He's a natural when it comes to pistol shooting but I'm not sure if he's ever done Isosceles (mod or un-mod).

You've discovered on your own the Chapman Technique that I too find more natural than the Isosceles, though I personally am not double jointed.

Honestly, sticking to one technique or another isn't as important as finding positions from where you can comfortably and consistently be making hits.

Best advice is to keep trying various positions out and work hard at your versatility,
though don't bemoan your own body preferring something that some other instructor or shooter doesn't personally like themselves.

I'm double jointed in my back / shoulder blade area. Can pop my shoulder right out of joint and make my shoulder blades stick straight out (will come in real handy if I ever get put in a straight jacket :) ) Was a problem in boot camp 500 years ago because I couldn't do the huge amount of push ups. They let me do sit ups instead most of the time....

Moral of the story is, there is always an alternative and a way to make it work. Play around with stances, elbow positions, and even elbow braces if you need to.

Back