Can anyone tell me what machine gun this is?

Ransome

I've seen this soviet tank mounted machine gun many times before. The sight is very peculiar and I cannot find anything about it anywhere. What is it?

Attachments

• soviet1.jpg
    soviet1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 217
I don't know about that crazy sight, but it looks like something in the DShKM family of 12.7x108 caliber machine guns in use since about '38 or so.

I am in no way a machine gun expert or foreign weapons expert. but that looks like a M2 .50 cal with a barrel sleeve and flash suppressor to make it look not American. Of course I'm probably wrong, but that's what it looks like to me

They didn't even do a very convincing job with the hot glue gun... :rolleyes:

The receiver on the DShKM looks nothing like the gun in that picture.

While I know nothing of foreign guns, I’ll agree that the receiver looks like an M2.
Look at the projectile size... I don’t think that guy could fire that big cannon with so little weight behind it unless it’s got some recoil mitigation device that I cannot see. Also, the barrel looks like it’d pretty tough to even lift lol.

The Soviet DShKM isn't a cannon.

It is, power wise, very comparable to the power of the .50 BMG round fired from the M2 machine gun.

The DShKM is designed to be supported by a variety of mountings.

It also has a pretty effective muzzle brake that helps reduce recoil significantly.

Hollywood prop gun, built on an M2 browning receiver. Made to resemble a Soviet machine gun.

In some of the Rambo movies they did this, and some even used M60 recievers, mocked up to resemble DshK guns.

They did it, simply because the correct real guns were not available. Remember, its a movie, and the gun doesn't have to be real, it just has to look real enough for a few seconds at a time.

Thanks Mike, I know nothing about it, just looking at the size of the hole in the muzzle. I also didn’t see any ports for a brake, however, I do see a tube that could be a recoil damper. In the pic, the barrel looks pretty massive compared to a .50 bmg barrel.

Notice the large (and fairly crude) welds on the "barrel" and where it joins the receiver.

its not a real gun barrel, they took some pipe, and welded it to look like a barrel, and stuck a soviet style muzzle brake on one end and an M2 receiver on the other. Added some bits and pieces, to make a wonky looking AA sight, and filmed it.

Or so it looks, to me...;)

FWIW the chopper isn't the real thing either... it's an Aérospatiale Puma (French medium transport helicopter) with a red star painted on it to make it look Soviet.

What movie is that? Gotta be something from before the late 90s when genuine Warsaw Pact weaponry and aircraft became available in Hollywood. :)

Back