Can anyone recommend a machinist to drill and tap a small hole?

kmcdonou

I have a rear sight that I would like to have a second set screw installed. The design of this sight is not the best and the recoil of the Sig P220 10mm can cause it to come loose at times.

I can probably address the issue by replacing the stock set screw with a knurled-cup point set screw and using red loctite on the threads and bottom of the dovetail. However, another set screw would probably eliminate the need for loctite on the bottom of the dovetail, and give me greater peace of mind.

Since I live in a rural area no-one around here can drill and tap a M3 x 0.5 mm thread set screw hole. Just curious if anyone knows of a place or someone on this board that I can mail the sight to and have this done?

May I suggest that you tell Sig you want another rear sight that fits (instead of having someone drill & tap another hole for you). I had the same problem with my Kimber 1911. It took about 2 or three rear sights that Kimber sent me --- Till one finally fit.

I know that Sig wait times on the phone are terrible.

Otherwise...A Duffy's Gun Room gunsmith can help ya --- Over here in Maryland.

http://www.duffysguns.com

Good luck...

Erno

Last edited:
I was going to suggest to ask around your gun club. Id bet someone there would do it or give you a good reference to someone who would.

Using a tiny bit of Loctite on the threads would prevent the screw from loosening. Can be found at any auto parts store.

My classmate ThroneArms. He had 17 years as a machinist before going to TSJC. He has a full machine shop in his garage.

Thanks for idea. If the person who offered to do it for me falls through I will follow-up with some of the leads given here.

I could send it back to Sig, but it is a better fix if I add another set screw. Plus if I replace the stock ones with knurled set screws, and add some blue loctite, the sight should never, ever move.

Back