Can anyone indentify this strange musket-rifle!

banned

Inactive
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone might know about anything about my musket. All I really know is that it was passed down and it was likely a gift to one of my relatives who acted for British interests in the India and / or the Middle east.

I'm no expert but as far as I can tell it is probably one of a kind. I have my doubts as to whether it was actually fired or not as there seems to be not much sign of wear inside the barrel, however I may be wrong.

See link : http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/nn151/gollyhobo/unknown musket/

Thanks!!

Hi, I've added a few more to the album, these are just about the best I can do. I reckon the whole thing weights about 8 kilos. However it's had a some rough years and is a long way from it's original condition. I know of parts of it have gone missing and or broken but I'm not sure exactly what these were.

Also, the butt end appears to made of possibly camel skin, however I couldnt say that with certainty.

I have seen a rifle similar to that one; it was brought back to the states in the 60's by a gentleman who traveled extensively in India and Africa in the 50's and 60's. When he showed it to me several years ago, he said the ball at the end of the stock was made of dung wrapped in goathide. He was getting on in years and did not remember exactly where he got it.

DavidAGO

Like SDC said, it's a matchlock. In the very first image, you can see how the arm an opening for the match cord to drop into the pan.

I looked at it more today, indeed the arm the the trigger pulls has got a split in it for which I would assume would be a ignition cord of some sort. Next to the pot there is a hole or a vent but I cant tell if it's drilled right into the barrel. I took a measurement of the inside of the barrel and it doesn't go that deep, deffinately not the full length right infront of the drilled hole. I assume it's blocked somewhere, would there be a way of unblocking it or checking that out?

If it's a real gun, it might still be loaded (and I'm only half kidding here). Take a piece of wire and test the fire hole. If it seems to go all the way into a barrel, fill the hole with water and let it soak for a while before you try to pull the stuck bullet. People in the black powder forum probably have lots of techniques how to get the "obstruction" out.

Easiest way to unload it would be with a co2 discharger. But I wouldn't buy one for one use. Compressed air might work if you can get a tight seal at the touch hole. Or if you know somebody that shoots bp and has a ramrod long enough to use a ball worm on it that will work. No need to wet it down. Might lube the bore to make extraction easier once it starts to move.

Back