Can anyone in AZ recommend a CCW instructor?

instructor

Why don't you call your local PD and ask who they consider a good instructor is. I did this for myself and for my wife. We used different instructors but that's a different subject.
My home PD were quite helpful in choosing the right instructor for us. Just a thought IMHO.

You don't say where in AZ you are? Check with shooting ranges in your area if there are any.

I'm south of Tucson. When I took the class a few years ago - I took it at the "Marksman" indoor range in Tucson. They offer a number of classes (or did at that time). It was a good class with good instructors and I'd take a refresher with them any time. Good class room and good range time.

Glendale community college has a good firearm training program. I believe they still do police officer training also.

Ask around the next time you are at Ben Avery. The woman who teaches their beginner shooting classes is a range employee and I expect she could recommend someone.

Can anyone in AZ

I live in Tempe, AZ. I also belong to Rio Salado Sportsman's Club. They do have a List of Firearms Instructors on their web Site "www.rsscaz.com". When you go to their site just click on the link for Firearms Instructor and it will bring up a list of instructors that teach at the range. I took my CCW Class from Jim Neff. He has his own Firearms School as well. He does teach most types of Firearms Training classes as well. so if you live in the Greater Phoenix Area look and the Rio Salado Sportsman's Club Site. You can also check out the NRA Web Site as well. They also have a list of places around the country where you can someone in your area that teaches Firearms Training classes as well. I hope that this helps.

My original CCW was taught by Gunsite, who came into town and taught at Ben Avery to exploit the craze. Very good training (I had Gunsite alumni with me that said I basically got the first two says of their basic pistol course). Alas, I do not believe they are still doing that.

Since then, I have had renewal courses by Shooters World in Phoenix and Caswell's in Mesa. I would recommend either of them.

Last edited:
phwe9774 said:
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking for a CCW instructor in AZ? There's no CCW requirement anymore
There are a number of good reasons to have a concealed weapons permit from Arizona (Arizona does still issue them), including:

• Without a permit one may not carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol or in a bar. With a permit one may, as long as (1) he doesn't consume alcohol; and (2) the restaurant or bar isn't properly posted. When I've visited Arizona, my permit made it much easier to go out to dinner.

• With an Arizona permit one avoids possible exposure under the federal Gun Free School Zone law.

• An Arizona permit is recognized in quite a few other States.

This is the guy I used when I lived there - he's a MCSO that moonlights with his shooting instructions. Great guy, very personable and very knowledgeable.

Black Wolf Defense

Classes we offer:

CCW (AZ) Private classes can be held depending on student count
CCW (Utah)
Range Safety Officer
Handgun Marksmanship 1
Armed & Un-armed Security Guard

Phone: 623-628-2196
1313 North Litchfield Road
http://www.azccwclasses.com/

Back