Can anyone identify this "jig"?

shaunpain

Picked this up a while back, forgot about it and found it recently in my jig toolbox. I think this was part of an estate parcel from a gunsmith and I really only needed the sear jig. The seller had no idea what it was and neither do I. Anyone out there in TFL land familiar with this piece? Thanks for any help!

25348832_10215327519127872_6957459710784155304_n.jpg

Depending on the diameter of the post in the center could it be for peening the rivet for the extractor of earlier Remington 700 series family of bolt rifles (720, 721, 722, etc.) that preceded the newer snap-in design?

That's what I was thinking.

Were there other inserts for the center post? You can see that the center post can be removed with a set screw. If the jig came with a variety of center posts that roughly correspond to common caliber diameters, that might answer the question conclusively.

Thanks to everyone so far for the info and hilarious quips! To answer some questions, no, this jig didn't come with any ancillary pieces but that's not a huge surprise considering someone was probably selling dad or grandpa's old stuff and didn't have a clue what they were. In the bottom appears to be a roll pin or set screw holding that half moon post. I didn't mic the stainless pin and am not currently at home, but I can tell you that nothing appears to move. Not sure if it needs oil or just wasn't meant to. A weird jig for sure and the mystery continues to elude us all...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Send it's photo to Brownells and ask if anyone there recognizes it. It would help to put a quarter on the table in the photo to act as a size reference.

I do not believe I have one but if I did I would use it to push a pin out or align two pieces that required a pin.

F. Guffey

That fixture does indeed look very similar to the fixture used to stake over the rivet on the Remington 740 & 742 extractors.
Back in the day (1967) as an apprentice toolmaker, I was getting into doing gun repair part time, but me apprentice pay wouldn't allow for elaborate expenses for "specialty jigs" as such so I made one very similar to what's depicted.
It's a "must-have" tool for the early Remington semi-auto centerfire rilfes.

Back