Can anyone I.D. this rifle?

This falling-block small caliber rifle is confounding many of us here in Montana....What the he[[ is this?

Attachments

• 1102151419.jpg
    1102151419.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 1102151420.jpg
    1102151420.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 1102151420a.jpg
    1102151420a.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Other than it appearing to be a Winchester of some flavor, you'll have to provide larger pictures and also tell us what the markings are on the barrel and receiver.

I have to agree with the above. It appears to be a Winchester of some sort or at least a close clone. Without some more info and/or better pics the world may never know. Any other numbers or marks? Underneath the receiver, on the tang or on the bbl would be a common spot for Winchesters.

It is a Winchester 1892; the WP Winchester proof indicates it is not a clone. With those blurry pictures, it is hard to tell any more, though.

Jim

If you want more specific info, we'll need better photos and descriptions of all markings (since they often don't photograph well, especially on old firearms).

It has a half-the-barrel length magazine...it IS a falling block, the whole bolt-carrier assembly drops down, picks up next round, then comes up to feed the round. It does have a "22" mark on the bottom rifle where the lever pivots (possibly called the receiver?). And the "mark" almost looks home-made....I haven't seen a LOT of Winchester proofs, but, picture 1 ( sorry it's so small...dang 248k limit!!) can't even discern what letters are supposed to be!?!? I see a T, a -w or m for sure..."p" looks pretty obvious...or a upside down small d? Serial number is crystal clear....tee hee...go figure. After looking at my limited resources, I was leaning towards a Stevens or Marlin...I have more (hopefully larger and clearer)pix coming in now...post them soon....and thanks to y'all, this is a GREAT site to learn schtuff.!

Last edited:
So, James, that IS a Winchester proof? Kinda looks rough...I get the W...but what is the rest of those symbols? a "p or P" and is the vertical line connected to that tail on the p, or is it some sort of a "I"? Could you let me know where I might find that particular proof online? I sure thought I had seen damn near all of them....3 and 4 times :)

So, James, that IS a Winchester proof? Kinda looks rough...I get the W...but what is the rest of those symbols? a "p or P" and is the vertical line connected to that tail on the p, or is it some sort of a "I"? Could you let me know where I might find that particular proof online? I sure thought I had seen damn near all of them....3 and 4 times

The proof is an overlapped WP in a circle and it stands for Winchester proofed. It is not a falling block as the bolt does not drop but slides straight back. If you do a google image search for Winchester proof marks you should get pages of pics. A 92 is easily identified by the two locking lugs seen on each side of the bolt.

Last edited:
"It's a 92"

The exposed locking bolts indicate that it's a Winchester Model 92, chambered in a round like .25-20, .32-20, .38-40, or .44-40.

It's not a falling block, it's actually a lever-action repeater that employs vertical locking bolts and a reciprocating bolt.

Back