Can anyone help me with a gunstock question?

tpcollins

I couldn't find anywhere else to ask this so here goes:

I want to make a stock with a Fajen style cheek pad. I've done a shotgun stock before from a semi-finished blank and only needed a flat wood chisel to inlet the front portion and a pneumatic disc sander to finish up the walnut stock.

But I'll have to recess the underneath section of the raised Fajen pad area and I'm wondering if something like a 1/2" wood gouge chisel (1/4" radius) would be sufficient to rough carve that one side of the stock with? Thanks.

Maybe,if its really sharp and your are more skilled than I am.You'll have constantly changing grain.
There is a round,hollow cheasegrater file.There are smaller half round Nicholson cabinet rasps. Big honker round files. Barrel inletting scrapers and rasps.Dowels with 40 grit wrapped around them.

Could you? Sure. Should you? That's another question. I do stock work for a living, and I have a good selection of rasps and files for contouring cheek pieces on stocks. A gouge will let you rough the shape you want, but to really shape it well and contour it well, you need more than just a gouge. Since you are going to invest a hundred or more in wood, invest $20 or $30 in tools.

Back