Can anyone help me identify this rifle?

H6RBW

Inactive
Hello all,

I was given a rifle by a friend about 12 years ago, prior to my developing any interest in guns. At the time, he told me what kind of rifle it was, but I can't remember now what it is, where he got it, or, literally, anything he told me about it. And, shortly after giving me the rifle, my friend got married and moved out-of-state. I've since lost track of him.

Anyway, the rifle spent a decade-plus sitting in a closet. In the last year, I've started hunting with my father-in-law. I bought a new rifle for that, but my curiosity about this old rifle has been kindled and it's bothering me that I know nothing about it. Any help anybody can give me on a manufacturer, model, age, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 061911004011.jpg
    061911004011.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 368
  • 061911004250.jpg
    061911004250.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 366
  • 061911004359.jpg
    061911004359.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 355
Smiley!!!

Better known as SMLE--Short Magazine Lee Enfield. It appears to have been sporterized a bit. What caliber is it?

It started out as a Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mark III*, built in 1944, but I can't see the manufacturer marking on the socket.

Calibre is .303 British.

It was sporterized by removing the military iron sights and installing a scope mount. The foreend was either shortened and reshaped or replaced. It appears the buttstock was extended for a tall shooter and a recoil pad installed.
Put on a scope and it would be a serviceable inexpensive hunting rifle but has no collector interest or much resale value.

The markings are typical of what is known as a "Dispersal" rifle. After BSA's Small Heath plant closed down in 1943 (the sole remaining plant producing the No. 1 rifles), other "Dispersal Factories" continued production of the No. 1 rifles using cannibalized parts from other otherwise unserviceable rifles as well as some parts made at the R.S.A.F. at Enfield Lock.

Skennerton's book shows an identical cypher to yours.

Back