Can anyone help me find a replacement recoil/butt pad for my Sig 556 rifle?

dbrown0398

Inactive
I am in need of a replacement recoil/butt pad for my Sig 556 "Classic" rifle. I have the Swiss style folding & collapsible stock. I think the pad for a 550 or 552 will work. I don't know what I did, or what I may have gotten on the pad, but it has literally disintegrated. Any help, tips, suggestions, etc will be appreciated.
Thanks & Semper Fi,
Derek Brown

Thank you Sir. I have tried Colorado Gun Sales and they said they can't help me out. I have taken pics that I am going to send to Sig tomorrow. The guy I spoke with at Sig told me that I was pretty much "SOL" but I am going to call back tomorrow & hopefully get someone higher up the food chain on the phone. I will try that Sig forum to see if someone there may possibly be able to assist me Thanks again for your help.

Regards,
Derek

Hi. No sweat.
SIG saying you're not covered by the warrantee? I can give you some words in Greek that'd get your mouth washed out with soap. snicker. Say things like, "Do you honour the warrantee or don't you?".
Plan 'B' would be putting on a regular recoil pad(those aren't always about recoil) that needs fitting(sanded to size. Bench mounted bench sander works best.). There are black coloured pads around. It's probably easier than it sounds. Hard part will likely be getting the rest of the existing one off.

Well, I did reach a guy in customer service at Sig who acted like he would at least try & I have sent him pics & he confirmed that he received them & had forwarded them to engineering, not that I completely understand why it had to go before engineers as I just want a butt pad, not a complete stock. Heck of a lot of hassle for a pad. Heck, I will pay for one if he'll sell it to me. I just want my rifle back up & running!

Hi. Engineers dig holes. Makes 'em crazy when you say that to a manufacturing engineer too. snicker.
Probably sent to 'em to decide if it was their fault.

'disintegrated '? There is a problem with rubber that can occur in time . I just replaced the foam in my pickup truck seats .That problem with polyeurethane has been know since the 1950 s !!! Such things have been happening more as China has been a major supplier for everything.
In any case all seems to be normal for years then suddenly it changes , almost overnight ! It's defective material ! Ask a rubber engineer .I'm only a metallurgist but I have known about this since about 1960 !! DEMAND replacement .If that doesn't work get a standard pad and fit it to size.:mad:

Received an email from customer service at Sig & he said that they were going to replace it for me, just havery to locate one. My Sig 556 is about 6 years old, & by my logic, something that was just being produced a few years back, & is still in production, but with upgrades, should have spares available from the factory that made it. Well my logic seems to be flawed as I don't believe Sig contracted with anyone to help make sure that their customer service & warranty would be covered despite promises to do so. Right now I am just praying for a happy outcome.

In regard to the breakdown of the butt/recoil pad, if you have ever handled an old British jungle carbine, the rubber recoil plates on those broke down over time & that is what this reminds me of.

I just want my rifle back up & running! It is my coyote rifle & living on a farm out in the country where coyotes have been killing the neighbors cats & chickens over the past week, it comes in handy (when it works).

T. O'Heir, an engineer learns three words after they go through their EIT and get their stamp, and those are "it wasn't me". Actually, it can happen to the best engineers, especially by believing manufacturers literature about quality, life expectancy, etc. They brag it up, or I found that to be the case when I worked at a local mining machine manufacture's engineering department.

Remember the rubber selected for the o-rings on the space shuttle, which they called Feynman in to take a look at? The government didn't care too much for him actually finding the problem, though he did, and testified before congress. The o-ring designer selected the wrong material for cold temperatures.

"...they were going to replace it for me..." Great. Nothing like a company that stands behind their warrantee.
A British jungle carbine(a No. 5 Rifle) had an India rubber so called recoil pad as a butt plate. Hard as a hockey puck. All rubber will break down, but it shouldn't in just 6 years. Solvents maybe.
"...and get their stamp..." No 'Iron rings' down there? Guys I know, up here, are for ever carrying on about their iron rings. To which I reply, "Engineers dig holes." That being cavalry speak. snicker.
St. Bill says I'm a Microsoft Engineer for 20 years now. Buggers didn't give me a shovel either.

I'm building a rifle for a guy that works at Sig- but I'm not sure which dept (I know he's not a shop guy)-so I don't know if he can get anywhere you haven't- but I can ask him. Need to talk to him tomorrow, if you want me to ask him about it PM me with your contact info.

Sig came through

Well, just wanted to pass along that Sig came through for me & found me a recoil pad for my 556 & sent it at no charge. It arrived today & fit perfectly. Christopher with Sig's customer service was very helpful.

Derek

Back