Can anyone help identify this rifle?

davmckinney

Inactive
It was handed down from my German Grandfather. It's a small caliber single shot bolt action with some markings I've been unable to track down. Any help is appreciated!

ab7f6ca9.jpg

4a1af407.jpg

cae6fdea.jpg

The Gewehr 1891 was the last variation on the 1888 Commission rifle. It incorporated improvements for feeding from strippers IIRC. It is similar to the Argentine 1891 rifle. Your has been modified to be a single shot, from what you say, not uncommon before WW1 for rifles used for hunting.

What is it chambered for? That would be a wild guess. You will have to have the chamber cast and determine what the chambering is from Cartridges Of The World or a similar reference. There were a nmber of fairly popular (at that time) small-bore cartridges it could be chambered for.

The gun pictured by tater134 is the carbine version with the flattened (so-called "butterknife") bolt handle. The rifle (Gewehr or Gew.) had a longer barrel and straight bolt handle with a round knob.

As Scorch says, those ex-military rifles were often converted to hunting rifles, sometimes with enough alterations that their origin is barely recognizable.

Jim

Scorch, the Argentine 1891 was a Mauser design, the Gew 91 was part of the '88 series and is not.
As for this Gew 91, if (and that's a big if) it's still in it's original caliber it would be in 8x57 I (with the smaller .318 barrel).

One more question...

Is the proof mark standard for this rifle, and are the letters JB under crown or something else? Does anyone know what the proof would signify?

That's not a proof mark but a military acceptance stamp. Proof marks weren't introduced until 1892, so it's unclear if your rifle has any. I would take the barrel out of the stock and look underneath. I would also take off that scope mount on the front of the receiver, it covers the area where you would usually see markings.

The Gew 91 and the 1891 Mauser are two entirely different rifles. Look at the photos and compare them to an 1891 Mauser and you'll see what I mean. The Gew 91 was only produced in a carbine version. The Gew 91 is basically a Kar 88 with a stacking hook added and was intended for artillery and transportation units.

Back