Can any one help me here ? Tring to find out the value of my winchester model 70 ?

P.V. FLAME

Inactive
I inherited a winchester model 70 , 30.06 , supergrade , prewar , 1939 , with a scope on it . In good condition . What would it be worth to sell ? Can any one help me please ? ? I have tried looking on some auction sites to compare , but couldn't find the same rifle ? Does any one have a blue book or some thing ? Anyone interested ? THANK YOU ! MY EMAIL IS flameingfish@yahoo.com

So many of these were altered throughout the years. You would have to post pictures, and some pretty detailed ones for anyone to determine a ballpark value. I had a plain-Jane model 70 from the same time period and to my surprise it sold for over $2000.00 on an auction site a few years ago. Yours could be worth considerably more. But if it's been altered, considerably less. FWIW...

He's right. Without pictures, what you're calling good condition might be something else. I don't mean to sound critical, but unless you know Model 70s (and I don't), the smallest change can make a huge difference in price. However, a pre-war Model 70 in pristine condition should be worth somewhere between .... I hesitate to guess, but somewhere around $1000.00 should be about right. But again, condition, condition, condition. Guns International has a whole page of them that should give you some idea of value.

Here's maybe a little more... Since it has a scope, it's likely, but not definite, that it has been drilled and tapped for it after it left Winchester. That lowers the value. How do you know it's a "Super-grade"? If its marked, where is it marked? How is the caliber designated? For that vintage it should probably be: 30Govt06. I think the important parts to see in pictures are: the top of the receiver, the Floorplate, the stampings on the barrel, the front sight and of course, the overall rifle. I hate to go against PawPaw on this but an original 1939 Super-grade Model 70 with no aftermarket alterations is worth Wayyy more than $1000.00. But without seeing it, no way to know...

oneshot onekill said:
I hate to go against PawPaw on this but an original 1939 Super-grade Model 70 with no aftermarket alterations is worth Wayyy more than $1000.00.
You're right, and I freely admit that I know very little about pre-war Winchesters. However, I was thinking the same thing you were re: drilling and tapping. There's no way to know what it's worth without a lot more information. For a serious collector, it's all about condition, even to the point of knowing if the front sight hood is present.

On the other hand, I'd give him $100.00 for it, sight unseen.

A lot of folks think any model 70 made pre-64 is worth a lot of money. Most however are not worth any more than any other 40-50 year old rifle in similar condition.

Shooter grade pre-64's have lost a lot of value in the last few years, but this one has a lot going for it. Post WW-2 rifles are far less valuable than pre WW-2 rifles. Rare chamberings and rare versions bring a premium. A Supergrade helps a lot, being chambered in 30-06 hurts value a little because it is so common. And of course condition is everything.

I'd cruise gunbroker and other sites looking for similar guns and see what they "SOLD" for. Don't pay much attention to asking prices. Small details could mean the difference between a $1,000 gun and a $10,000 gun. I think this one could fall almost anywhere between those prices and it really needs someone who knows their stuff to give a fair appraisal.

Good points PawPaw and jmr40. I've been through my share of Pre'64 Model 70's but even pictures could miss some pretty important stuff. If mechanically it checks out to be original, you'll need to actually have an expert see it in person to be sure the finish is original. You can also tell a lot more about a collectible when you have it in your hands. You need all of your senses to make an accurate appraisal.

Picked up a Model 70 like the one you have about one year ago. On a scale of 1 to 10 it was a 9. Nothing was altered and it was all original. Asking price was $1,000.00. I offered $700.00. The owner of the gun store called the owner of the rifle and he took my offer. I think I did OK.

TPAW... Sorry, but I have to raise the BS Flag on that one!

Anyone with even the most basic knowledge of Winchester Model 70's would know better than that.

Pending verification, I will buy that from you for DOUBLE what you paid for that rifle... Right now!

Let's see it...

Reply to : Help on tring to find out the value of my winchester model 70

Well , thanks guys for your input . I took it to turner's and got it appraised . It turns out it's a 1938 model 70 , supergrade , prewar . The mgr. That appraised it said it was in very good condition rifleing was very good not much use he said . The blueing only had a few very small lite rust spots , 3 or 4 that i could see . The stock original finish , with some small dents and dings . He called lite wear . Over all he rated the rifle an 85 out of 100 . He said i could sell it for much more than the store could offer me . So , guys now what / or where should i do / or go to try to sell it for the most money ? Any offers or ideas ? Thanks for the help guys ! My e-mail is flameingfish@yahoo.com to contact me or leave a comment here . Thanks again !

Take several good, clear pics of the rifle, including a pic of the cloverleaf upper/rear tang & the iron sights, buttplate, etc; add a THOROUGH & DETAILED description, including a disclosure of ANY known defects (w/pics).

If you're unsure how to do so, logon to some of the gun auctions for ANY of the pre-64 Winchester Model 70's, and see how the adds are setup & worded, to get an idea of how to do your ad. (aka: do your homework)

Then, open an account on an online gun auction website like www.gunbroker.com with a opening bid of $1,000.00 and set your auction to run for 7 days - and wait for the fun to begin.

Be sure to add about $35 for shipping (legal for you to ship/mail it to ANY FFL, anywhere - and have the winner pay with a USPS Money Order, accompanied by a copy of their FFL.

Because it's been D/T'd the rifle (bareback) should bring about $1500.00-$2500.00 or maybe a little more if a couple of bidders get excited over a SG.
IDK what scope is on it, but unless it too is a collector's item, it's value is negligable.
If it's a collectible scope, I'd separate it & auction it separately - what brand/power is it ?

Last edited:
oneshot onekill

At 65 I have no need to tell tall tales to anyone. The purchase was rather confidential at the time (parties knew each other), and it was made for my grandson who was very pleased to receive it as a gift.
I will extend your offer to buy it, but I doubt he will sell. The sentiment is worth more than the money. Thank you for your offer.

Back