Can a smith 625 handle .45 super loads?

Rail Gun

Someone told me that someone told them they do, but I want independant confirmation of that fact before I would dare try it. If it's true I just might have to splurge on one.

Suggest asking Smith. Also suggest using snail mail and getting the answer in writing.

Or realize that you may be on your own if it lets go.

Sam

Yes it can. The 625 is a 32000CUP gun and pressures of the 45 Super loads are well below that level. I believe that Clark custom only reams the cylinder for their 460 Rowland conversion and the pressure of that cartridge exceeds that of 45 Super.

Gabriel

*&*, Ace Custom and Texas Ammo all say "no".

Clark Custom Guns will happily convert it to take the far more vicious .460 Rowland, and doesn't appear to have been sued out of business over their handiwork detonating in a customer's mitts. :)

How does 230gr @ 1350fps sound? :cool:

Actually, Tamara, Ace Custom and Texas Ammo say you can shoot .45 Super Tactical from a 625; but not the full-power loads.

The Tactical loads are 100-115 fps slower than the full-power, depending on bullet weight.

Now this is damned confusing! Ace Custom's FAQ page and ammo order form, and Texas Ammo's FAQ page, refer to .45 Super Tactical loads that are 135-250 fps faster than standard .45ACP.

But Texas Ammo's ammo page refers to these same loads as .45ACP Tactical. It states that these "are NOT 45 Super loads, but are loaded using 45 Super cases".

Clear as mud. :)

This same question comes up ever now and again when someone new arrives here or on other boards.

The last time it did, for myself anyway, I called S&W Customer Service.

After waiting for what seemed to be forever, I spoke with a male tech who when asked the question by me of using .45 Super ammo in a M625, asked this question, "does it say .45 Super on the gun or the box it came in?"
I replied by saying that all it was only marked .45 cal. He replied that that did NOT mean SUPER and asked me, "why put undue wear and tear on a fine gun by using ammunition that generates pressures that it was not intended for?"

The tech further commented that S&W, at that time, had no gun in their line that they would recommed the use of .45 Super ammunition in. Very close to his words anyway. ;)

My M625 is an original 1989 5" model that I bought in '89. It shoots very, very well as do most 625's.

I have many years of shooting under my belt with both revolvers and semi-autos and know for a fact that the use of higher pressure loads will loosen either in a shorter time period than using ammunition loaded to "normal" or "standard" specs.
I wouldn't think of using .45 Super ammo in my 625. :D

A coupe of years back, I was told by a personal friend on the higher levels at HK that the use of .45 Super ammo in the USP line of guns would VOID any warranty on their guns.
They had several USP's come back to them with frame damage due to the use of .45 Super ammo and they refused to warranty the frames on those guns. :(

Don't know what the long term shooting of .45 Super might bring, but I've run a couple of boxes through my Model of 1989 625. I had visions of making a deer hunting gun out of it.

Didn't seem to bother the 625 any, but I really didn't care for all the extra "buck and bluster" of the round. Bought a 6" 25-5 in .45 Colt for deer hunting.

Good Luck...

Joe

Back