Can a S&W Sigma .380 be carried safely with a round in the chamber?

Adventurer_96

I've had this little .380 for a while, and yes I bought it used! In fact, I bought it because the dealer told me that it would soon be banned in my dear home state of Massachusetts.

At any rate, I've had it for years and have not carried much prior to this. Now, however, I'm thinking of making this pistol my carry piece until I can get my PPK/S (see an earlier post).

Can it be carried safe with a round in the chamber? I'm not sure I trust the DA design entirely with a round in the chamber but I don't know a lot about it. It is fun to shoot, although marginally accurate, and I do like the ergonomics of it combined with the fact it disappears in a pocket or holster.

My other option in some cases would be a Russian Makarov, which I'm happy to use, but there are some situations where the Sigma would be easier to carry and I'd like to know your thoughts.

La perte des armes est la fin de la liberte.

AFAIK, that's how it was designed to be toted, hence the longish DA trigger pull. I'd sure hate to have to rack that skinny little blowback-operated slide in a hurry...

It can be safely carried with one in the chamber, but just don't count on it to operate when you need it. I had a Sigma .380, and it is the only gun I've ever owned that I ever sold. Hated it, shot poorly, jammed on the last round in the magazine (tried different mags) most of the time. Maybe yours is better, but I'd suggest you save your pennies for a better carry gun than the Sigma .380. IMHO, YMMV, etc...

Like Roger, my Sigma 380 is the only handgun I ever sold, and I don't regret it for a minute. However, unlike Roger, my 380 never jammed, with about 500 rounds through it. I sold it because it was of poor quality and terrible accuracy, and I was uncomfortable with its stopping power. I was absolutely thrilled when a dealer offered me $150 for it in a trade-in for a new 638 (pre-sellout).

Back