Can a S&W 29 handle hot loads?

Brad

I've been shooting medium loads and .44 specials in my 4" 29-3 with enjoyable results. I recently picked up a box of Cor Bon 320gr (1270fps) in order to test the gun's (and my)limits with the .44 cartridge.

I don't plan on shooting these very often but I'm looking for a hot load that I can take with me to the woods every now and again. I'm not a handloader so factory is my only choice.

Does anyone have any experience with this or similar handloads in the M29? Essentially, is the 29 strong enough to handle it?

Thanks!

The 29 will handle these just fine. You may not enjoy it, but the gun will. It is like anything else, the hotter loads will wear it out quicker.

Hi, Brad. With that particular Cor Bon load in conjunction with the 4" Model 29, the recoil and blast will be a tad SEVERE. Try some of the 240 grain jacketed loads from Federal or Winchester first before you do the Cor Bons. These are in the neighborhood of 1180 fps, give or take. To answer your question, I don't see a problem with shooting full powered loads in the 29 every once in a while. Like the other poster said, if you shoot hot stuff all the time, your gun will wear out faster. I have owned a 29 and 629 for going on seven years and have not shot either one of them loose yet, but do predominantly shoot 44 Special level handloads in them.

After direct questioning of Cor-Bon T.M. told me their loads are perfectly safe in S&W M29's.

(Mine are not, which is why I recommended Cor-Bon.)

Back