Can a 10mm do all & more than a .40?

Big Dave

Hi Guys,

I have a real simple (novice) question.

It seems that the 10mm can do everything and more that a .40 can do.

The 10mm is more costly and all. But, if you were fortunate enough to reload (not me) it seems that the 10mm would be a better choice???

Thanks,

Dave

You are so right!

The only challenge is grip size based on cartridge length.

Otherwise, the 10mm can be downloaded to 40S&W performance levels, or loaded up to near 41 Magnum levels.

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Yeah - but can you get a 10mm in a gun the size of a Kahr MK40?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Hey - have you seen the new Ultimate Super Tactical Match Gun?

Yep. You can get a Glock 30 (not quite a small as the Kahr, and not as good as a club) and shoot .400 Cor-Bon.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

You guys are right. The 10mm is an awsome round. It can be loaded up or down, depending on what you're using it for: Heavy and fast when lots of penetration is needed, medium to light weight and fast when not as much is desired. As far as concealability goes, I could put my Delta Elite in an IWB and conceal it just as well as any full sized 1911, which many people do. I love the 10mm. The only drawback is price and availability of ammo, but like the man says, if you reload..... :)

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

Guys, 180gr FMJ 10mm can be had cheap from Georgia Arms. $9.50 per box (sealed bag, actually). http://www.georgia-arms.com .

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

The 10mm is superior to the 40S&W, providing that it is used in the right gun. The 10mm uses much of the same slow burning powders that are used in the 41 Magnum. In order to get max power is by a full burn. You need full length barrels in order to do this. The Glock 20 just passes the minimum barrel length issue. Anything shorter is a waste, good for fireworks though.

Robert

The 10mm is one of those cartridges, like the 41 Magnum, that never really caught on. Now there are those who love it and love it dearly to the exclusion of any other, but...

Compare the sales of 357 and 44 magnums with 41 magnum ammunition. I think you'll see a lot more availability in the former.

The 40 S&W was developed after the FIB (to cover @$$ blamed the 9mm Luger for failure to stop BGs) specified 10mm, but the girl agents couldn't handle the recoil, also the limp wrists! "Could we pwease have something that doesn't kick so hawd!" S&W was on the ball and introduced the 40 Short and Weak... The rest is history.

To answer your question, yes the 10mm is better. No it is not likely to displace the S&W round. Buy a Delta Colt if you want a 10mm, it's a piece of history. :)

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

I would add that having both a 10mm and a 40s&w in similar guns, I find the 10mm to be intrinsically more accurate and easier to shoot. I think the seirra reloading manual says about the same thing.

I will sum up my feelings this way. I am fishing for more 10mm's, but not for any more 40's. My next pistol will be either another 10mm witness long slide (to take advantage of the better powders like the prior post) or a custom 1911 (like a Les) set up for 10mm.

pete

Yes, the 10mm is definitely better than the 40 S&W - mostly due to its versatility, as you have read in some of the above comments. A few years ago I got the itch real bad for a 10mm. Got lucky and found a NIB Springfield Armory Omega, with the 6" ported barrel. Paid hefty bucks. Then, went even off the deep end even more and grabbed an AMT in 10mm Magnum in used condition. Not happy with it though as it looks rough (stainless) and I like pretty pistols, but more importantly it fails to eject quite often. Haven't had it looked at by a Dr. yet. Some day, I guess. Does anybody know if someone else makes a pistol in 10mm Magnum? Wayne

Never heard of a 10 Mag. Not saying they don't exist, I've just not encountered one, or even seen specs for the cartridge. Over on GT, there's a thread about developing a 10 Super, though. :)

------------------
"The right of no person to keep and bear arms in defense of his home, person and property,
or in aid of the civil power when thereto legally summoned, shall be called into question.."
Article 11, Section 13, CO state constitution.

Just purchased a Glock model 20 in 10mm. I find this cartridge & caliber very effective and recoil not all that bad. I don't see why if you reloaded [except for target practice mabee] you would "load down" this cartridge. I have found that 10mm ammo is kinda hard to find, but the Federal 180 grain hyro - shoks, Winchester 175 grain silvertips shot without problems from this Glock and are very accurate. [i perfer the Winchester loading] My next pistol purchase will be a 1911 style model in 10mm, probably Colt delta elite. I enjoy shooting this 10mm round. Would recommend it to anyone for self defensive porposes.

Back