Camp/Plinking .22 pistol

salukijoe

Inactive
I'd like to purchase a fun plinking (kit size) .22 pistol (or revolver) that won't break the bank. Prefer a 4" barrel. I've never shot one but the Taurus M94 looks pretty good. Suggestions? Experiences?

S&W Model 63, 4" Stainless. Or there sre a ton
of M34s and M43( lightweights ) on the auction boards.These guns were the original Kits...dewey

FWIW I bought a (well) used S&W 34-1 and its my favorite plinker. I like the adjustable sights. Dialed 'em into the load I like, and its pretty doggone accurate.

I had a Taurus several years ago and sold it to a friend to train his sons with. Not as smooth as a Smith, but an ok gun.

Had Taurus M94 4" in undergrad. Great plinker. Take it to a gunsmith for a trigger job first though.

Best plinker ever--an old S&W (hey, stop throwing things at me) M17, the Bowman Special, aka "K Frame" or "kit gun". There is no reason that this pistol should be this nice, but I appreciate it.

Great 22 Plunker

Get the ruger Mark I or Mark II you just can't go wrong.
In a revolver you can find good prices on the ruger bearcat in 22 caliber.
Tony

It has to be a Ruger. Wether you get a MKI, MKII, 22/45, Bearcat, or Single Six, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I just looked at the bearcat on Ruger's sight. It looks absolutely tiny...does it fill the hand OK for accurate shooting? I sure do like the looks of that sixgun.

Heck no. The S&W K-22 M17 fills the hand. The Bearcat is big enough to handle fine, BUT if you want more accuracy, the other suggestions are better.
Bearcat is nice though for what you originally asked.

Depends on how much you want to put into it. For a low end fun plinker I have to go with Ewok. Phoenix HP22. you can get the 3inch barrel only for around $100 and add a 5inch barrel you can switch back and forth for another $40. Don't get them in a kit...you pay an extra $50 and all you get is a case and a cleaning kit. I'm trying to hold off for the Walther p22....but who knows when it will finally get out to the public.

I Bought a Taurus M94 with 4" barrel. Lots of fun for cheap ammunition, but the trigger is awful.

If you don't care about pistol or revolver, I'd get an inexpensive Ruger MkII or a Buckmark, or maybe even a S&W 422.

My Taurus was $285.00. If I didn't buy it to practice for my snubbie revolvers, I'd have gotten a pistol for less.

Ruger Single Six, my dad bought me one when I was 12, it was my first gun and I've been shooting it since. I love it!

Taurus 94 & Ruger Single Six

My Taurus 94, 3" bbl, shoots like a dream. Everyone who uses it shoots well, too. I load the cylinder and 4 model HR 22 HKS Speed Loaders at the firing line for an easy run of 45 rounds. Another 4-6 speedloaders should heat up the barrel even quicker.

I like my Ruger Single Six Convertible 6-1/2" bbl just as well but loading is slower and the DA option is missing when I want fast strings. Love that Ruger, love that Taurus, too. Very tempted to get the 22 Mag Taurus but its a low priority due to ammo cost.

I owned a resurrected S&W 22/32 Kit Gun that came back into production in 1957 but lost it to financial woes over the years. The Taurus 94 was an affordable replacement and has been as good as the Smith in my practical world. I'd buy it again, just as I would buy another Ruger, including the smaller Bearcat, but the DA/SA Taurus with 9 shot capacity is a great kit gun package.

Just a point---if you use an auto loader outdoors,cases spray everywhere.When I go bush to shoot .22 I use a revolver(S&W M17 in my case)---saves making a mess and I don't have to bother about looking for cases.

Back