Camo tape for 110ba stealth?

jamesf553

I've never camaflauged a rifle before but I like the looks of the ones I've seen, they are pretty cool and I do hunt in snowy terrain.

Was wondering if you had any recommendations on where to start looking for a good kit or tape. I saw that there's a bunch of kits for ARs/m4 platforms but the 110ba is a bit different. Would it still work ok?

Just putting feelers out there. I also have an m1a scout I hunt with. Maybe that'd be easier to wrap.

Thanks guys!

McNet makes some strong tape style wrap that sticks to itself rather than the firearm. I don’t like anything that can’t be cleanly removed if you change your mind or use. I subject rifles with that wrap on them to more than typical abuse, and it’s never come undone.

I generally don’t wrap my rifles, but I do like to wrap my scopes. Just sitting in the sun at a match or in the field can get a black, coated scope extremely hot. No Mfg. I know of recommends allowing all those different metals (expanding at different rates) to heat up like that. I don’t care if it’s a NF or other scope designed to take heavy impacts. Heat is bad juju on a scope.

Athletic/First Aid bandage tape(1.5" x 15 yards runs $5.78 on Amazon. About the same for a roll of commercial camouflage tape.) with or without some white cloth wrapped around the barrel and taped in place. Any adhesive that stays behind come spring(when you replace the white cloth with burlap from a garden shop.) will come off with mineral spirits.
The purpose of camouflage is to alter the shape of stuff. A there are no straight lines in nature, so just putting some white tape on the barrel and receiver will do that too. Or you can tie the white cloth on with string. Like this. You can make a Ghillie suit too.
http://i.imgur.com/FgtcRb0.jpg

Some of my higher end composite stocks are painted "camouflage" under the top coat. Yes, they look kewl, but it's essentially useless as camouflage. T. is correct. To actually camouflage a rifle you have to break up the outline. There are a bunch of Ghillie wraps for rifles, but I don't think that's what he's going for.

Try the McNett wrap. It's pretty cheap, and if you find you don't care for it you don't put a ton of gummy crap on your rifle you have to clean off like you would with some sort of camo duct tape.

The downside of Krylon is that you've seriously devalued your rifle if you ever want to trade or sell. That isn't to say I've never seen some really good rattle can paint jobs on stocks...

Camo tape for 110ba stealth?
Sounds like a fair trade to me.

If you intend to camo your rifle and would like to remove the camo at some future date, there used to be a product sold called "Snake Skins" IIRC, that is a knit tube printed with a camo pattern that stretches over your rifle and camouflages it that way. I don't think those are available any more, but there are stretchable camo overlays for guns that are not permanent and can be changed easily. Tape leaves sticky gooey stuff behind, and spray paint is difficult to remove.

Last edited:
I'll attest to the suitability of "McNett" stretchy camo wrap. I have some that's been on an AR for 3-4 years w/o causing any issues with rust or crud.
A couple of notes on the use: Don't wrap it too tight around the barrel/fore end of a bolt action as it may change POI. Plan your coverage so the end of the wrap is in a protected area and/or expect to use a piece of Gorilla tape to secure the end from coming loose.
The tape is a dirt magnet so light colors(snow camo) won't stay that way long. I use digital camo (light gray/dark gray/off white)and it turns into a gray/brown tone quickly. The wrap does prevent shine and helps stop clink/clank of the rifle against branches, shooting sticks, and equipment.

In addition, McNett provides an excellent gripping surface and a bit of insulation between the rifle and hands in cold weather.

Low end option

For snow camo, a low end option and I do mean "low", is to tape your firearm with that off-white marking tape and free-hand a branch pattern with coloring pens. I do this during our slug-gun season. When the season is over, I pull the tape, switch barrels and go back to shooting upland. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

There was, some time ago, a spray paint like product called "Bow-Flage" Went on like Krylon but even after years you could clean it off with their solvent. I tried to find it again as a rifle & did 20 years ago needs a freshening. Never tried to take it off that one., and can't find it anywhere. It was made for archery equipment but chasing that venue turns up nothing as well.

One of my buddies did a home camo job on his coyote rifle using camo spray paint and leaves and twigs from his yard. I think it turned out pretty good:

attachment.php

Back