Camo paint job

ADIDAS69

Does anyone have a good resource re vinyl sticker for a camo paint job. Found some on Amazon that work okay but are pretty thick and have a hard time conforming to more complex embossing details existing already in the plastic stock.

Have you looked into gunskins? They do camo vinyl wraps pre cut for guns https://www.gunskins.com/

Never seen stickers for painting. Primary arms has some flexible stencils in a couple different patterns. https://www.primaryarms.com/stencils

Not sure if thats exactly what you were looking for, but i hope it helps.

Also when dealing with vinyl stickers, try heating them, hair dryer or heat gun. They should stretch and conform better.

Depending on the laziness factor you might check out art or model car/plane shops for frisket film. This is a removable masking used for airbrush painting that allows very fine complex shapes to cut out (the laziness bit - you have to cut the pattern) and will conform to fairly minute surface differences.

Personally if I'm doing camouflage I don't like hard edges from masking. Air brush/ spray can with something held close to but not touching the surface and you get a softer color transition area which is more effective for actual camouflage.

Just get a roll of Camo Duct Tape ... Mossy Oak makes some , Scotch makes a pattern , Gorilla has a Camo duct tape and a company called Allen ...all found at local Wally Mart and about $10 per roll .
Do a neat job and it looks great .... want to remove it ... peels right off and cleans up with WD40 ... It's a nifty way to camo a gun !
Gary

I’ve only camo painted a couple of old shotguns & a rifle. Used Plasti-dip camo paint
https://plastidip.com/product/plastidip-camo/
it can be peeled off if needed & easily touched up.
I just used local foliage from the areas where they’re used for patterns-pine tree branch, cat tails & leaves, doesn’t have to be fancy or expensive to work well.

I’ve not heard of that product before, I’ll check it out. I was hoping to pay for the stickers but am not above doing the cutting out myself.

I can't remember where I saw it recently, but there's a masking material made for model makers that's a thickish liquid.
You paint it on, let dry and spray paint, then the coating peels off.

Going for a custom color set, sort of a 70’s camo, burnt orange, brown and burnt yellow. The barrel action and scope assembly is getting matte gold on gloss gold on hammered finish gold. I get bored easily and may need to disappear into old shag carpet at a moments notice

These ones do conform better when warm but the adhesive is deliberately weak to avoid peeling off the first and second lawyers. It’s luckily kind of an experiment job on a cheap Ruger American, they seem to have put a lot of detail in the mold of the stock to make up for the lack of attention to detail on the metal parts

Model makers "trick" with masking materials: after painting and before pulling the mask use a very sharp pointed blade, like Exacto knife, to trace the mask lightly to break adhesion of the paint to itself to reduce the paint pull up. In some cases you can use the back of the point (the non-edged bit) to ensure you don't have the edge wander from the mask because of the details underneath.

The thicker the spray paint the more this step may be needed. Or if you get runs from an over application.

Back