Camelbak modification question...

krept

I have a Camelbak HAWG. Great pack, but one major problem... it's black. Black isn't such a good color for field use in the desert in the middle of the day as it absorbs much heat and gets the internal gear cooking faster than I would desire.

I asked Special Operations Equipment about modifying the pack to incorporate some kind of system that will allow for a detachable tarp (sunshade)... kind of like a cover made of white or tan canvas that, through the use of hooks, velcro, whatever... to be used when desired.

SOE said that the guys they deal with usually spraypaint their packs. I didn't want to mess around with paint and am still interested in making (or having one made) such a system.

Any ideas for where I should start looking? Any better ideas to help shadow the pack without use of paint?

THANKS

Time to break out the sewing machine.
Or threedle and ned.
Make a cover out of the material of your choice.

Sam

I was afraid of that!

So many projects, so little time... I swear I'm going to disconnect the DIY channel this weekend!

Thanks...

When I get this one done, I'll be sure to post the results... never been into the world of gear modification before. Hope it isn't addictive.

the nice thing anout the cover is you can spraypaint THAT to match your terrain.

and with it in black, you don't have to worry about getting funny looks from yuppies when your jogging.

I have a HAWG and it's in the semi-tactical version. It doesn't have those awful bright colors, but it doesn't have the ALICE thingies either.

Why don't ya grab something like a pillowcase, put a grommet in it, and attach it to the various loops and things with the carabiners? No permanent damage to your baggie.

:D

I'm not sure if I have the 'tactical' version.

I was thinking about just using some white or beige canvas, cutting it to shape and attaching it to the loops of the pack using some elastic with a hook or loop style fastener. Guess a fabric store or art store would be a good place to start looking for options.

http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod.cfm?catid=6&product_id=170

pm_10662.jpg

pm_10652.jpg

If you find a Dry-Cleaner in your area with a seamstress, or tailor, in the store, you could take the H.A.W.G. in and have a small pack cover made to fit. A small amount of cloth and a bit of elastic won't cost you much and it could be made for you in about five minutes. No need for paint, velcro or carabiners, and you can keep it water repellent by spraying it with Tectron Wet Guard - Aerosol or Tectron Wet Guard - Pump or by using a wash-in type if you use a nylon or Gore-Tex fabric.

I make my own 3 point slings and have them sewn at the Shoe Repair in town. They can sew up to an inch of leather. Can the lady at the cleaners do that? They can order webbing and stuff for you too.

You could always get the fabric of your choice and attach it to the pack using safety pins.

Or, I'm sure you have seen shower caps with the elastic on it. You could make a larger one with elastic on it.

Back