Came across a "Texas Ranger" 3rd gen Dragoon at KTP in Kittery, ME

Jon80

Inactive
At least that's what one of the guys behind the counter called it. I figured it was some sort of personal custom...had a 12" barrel, uses #12 caps, and had some work done to the back shield, maybe to help seating the big caps. I looked all over it for maker's marks, all I could find were Colt's. The black powder expert wasn't in, but the salesman said it is in fact a real Colt, a very limited newer factory recreation of the Dragoons used by the Texas Rangers. Never heard of such an animal, unfortunately I don't have any pics.. Is there any truth to this? It was priced at $2,750 and showed some signs of serious use. I have no intentions of buying it, but the cool factor was off the chart.

It's possible that it was an original made in 1858. Colt made revolvers with longer & shorter barrels - for a dollar an inch. Would love to see some pictures of it. Does it have a 3 leaf rear sight on the barrel & is it cut for a shoulder stock?

Been trying to upload images

I went back and took a few, not having any luck. Anyway the SN of the gun is 16522, I chatted with someone who knew more about it; it is indeed a real 3rd Generation Dragoon with an ordered 12" barrel, original #12 nipples as it would have come, and it will accept a shoulder stock, though it's not included. Year of manufacture is 1858. The gun was refinished, and they have it listed at 70% condition.

Back