Calling all Spartans!

cornered rat

12:15am here. Had a great Valentine's day with my darling (who is hard-core pro-RKBA, an encouraging state of affairs). We went to try out my new revolver, met friends, resolved to try out Kahr K9 and order holsters. The weather, in February, was warm and sunny and pleasant.
Local CCW reform might even pass someday.

Right now I am crying. Over the last year I got prepared as well as I can be for the possibility of this once-great country declining to UK or Soviet levels. I am still no great rifleman, but at least my hide would cost them.

Michelle and I have taught about thirty people to shoot last year. When the tenth anniversary of out arrival to the USA comes along this spring, my parents will get guns as gifts, with the text of 2nd Amendment engraved on the barrels. My Web site, hopefully, has made some advances against the better-financed enemy propaganda.

And yet, I do not know how much difference this would make in ten years. Seems that the '34 and '68 and '86 and '94 and all the infamies great and small of other times are here to stay. Seem that my skill with a .38 will count for little once my tax money pay for more body armor and guns for the thugs.
And nineteen out of twenty kids growing up today will get their Stalin's Constitution equivalent and be happy. Look at New Jersey today.

Had it not been for the evil encroaching on us, I would have ended my interest in guns by plinking with a .22 and going back to cameras and computers. But, having started on this path, I'd like to think that, someday, I would get to walk across an American town or country with a musket or an AKM or a ray gun, unafraid of official harassment. I would like to hope that my kids would view being armed in the same light as brushing their teeth. I know about eternal vigilance, but, for a change, I'd like our opposition to be viewed by all as a sick cancerous aberration.

This is the best country on Earth...and I feel that, in some ways, I arrived fourty years too late. The "This and That" bans seems to stay forever...I have yet to see any of them reversed. Once one generation passes along, so might the "gun culture" (what a misnomer for the way of self-reliant, independent people who live and let live).

Somebody, tell me what the good news are, if any.

------------------
If you believe in freedom and means of protecting it...you might be a gun nut.
http://ddb.com/RKBA

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited February 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited February 16, 1999).]

It has been my observation that some of the most fervent defenders of the Constitution are those who immigrated here seeking the blessings of liberty. God Bless you Cornered Rat. Unlaconically yours,

Gary

cornered rat, you make excellent points ... and sense. I don't know much about your background or what brought you to the U.S., but I am glad you are here. When I went through graduate school I recall how sharp the foreign students were. I was always amazed and dumbfounded at the difficulty they had in staying in the U.S. So-called conservatives like Buchanan and people like Perot don't get it - we are fortunate enough to attract very sharp and well-motivated people. Immigration is a good thing - it is absurd liberal policies that sometimes make it a problem.

So, that is something to be optimistic about. We attract some of the best - such as yourself. We also get some dregs, but with welfare seeming to be on the decline, maybe that problem will fade a bit as well.

We have a rich history of freedom. I'll grant you in a heartbeat that too many of our citizens haven't a clue about how important that is. Too many believe it to be simply a case of those 'dead, old white guys'. However, while they do muck with the school textbooks, they have not attempted to alter original documents and other historical evidence of the truths we savor.

There are still many, many good people in this country. People who remember or at least understand our fight in World War II, and what happened when fascism came too close to ruling the world. Many of them don't realize it can happen here. Unlikely, hopefully. However, many Americans took notice of what happened at Waco and Ruby Ridge, and there was revulsion. Not as much as we would like, and not enough to hold those responsible legally responsible. However, it did not pass without notice.

To be frank, there is a broad base of weapons in the country. Too many of them find their way into the hands of BG's. However, many, many times that number are in the hands of people who do not initiate force against their neighbor. If anyone were so foolish as to go too far towards subjugating Americans, there would be a heavy price to pay. Of course, the concern here is the patience of those who would destroy freedom. Men sometimes accept terrible things over long periods - acts that never would have been acceptable if the time span was shortened so as to clearly contrast the oppression with freedom.

I'm sure I am telling you nothing new. Many of us feel as you do. These recent gun lawsuits are my personal 'call to arms'. I am disheartened as well. However, we still have decent odds on our side. We must continue to study historical and philosophical arguments in favor of self-defense, shooting sports and the positive effects of an armed citizenry. And, we must make well-reasoned arguments with our neighbors, friends and co-workers about the RKBA. The truth is often harder to communicate than the easy lie.

For myself, you are somewhat of an inspiration. Last year I taught one person to shoot. This year I'll do better. ;)

Best regards, and adios from AZ.

ps - thanks for an excellent web site.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited February 15, 1999).]

Back