Calling all Kahrs

Der Grosse

I am going to the range on Saturday to try out a Kahr K9 and MK9. If I like one, it will be my permanent office gun. I have the following questions:

1. Which do you like better and why?
2. Will the recoil and muzzle flip be as bad as the H&K USP Compact 9 which I hated (hard to believe its made by the same company which makes my silky-smooth P7M8.)?
3. Will I be able to get a decent grip on the MK9(I have average size hands)?
4. Do the mags drop free or do they stick?
5. Are they easy to field strip?
6. Any recurring problems?
7. What is customer service like?
8. What effect do the wood handles have on felt recoil, slippage, etc.?
9. How much should I expect to pay in Michigan?

Please note that 9mm is my preference (same ammo as my P7M8.) Also, I am uninterested in weights since the gun will be permanently located in my office. However, the thought of just dropping the MK9 into my pocket is appealing.

Thanks for the advice.

Hello, sir. I own a K9 and have no complaints with it. The sights are well-regulated from the factory and my gun was utterly reliable after the first 200 rounds. It's since digested several thousand rounds, much of it hot handloads and +P factory stuff.

I find that in my subjective view, this little dumpling does have a bit more recoil and muzzle flip than the HK USP 9mm, as best as I can remember from the one I owned a few years ago. That said, it's not bad.

Magazines do drop freely.

I find the K9 more comfortable than the Mk9, but this is subjective.

I cannot comment on the wooden stocks as I've never even seen any much less tried them.

I have no idea what these weapons are going for in Michigan, sorry.

Customer service was most helpful when I called them concerning a chronic problem with my P9. Never had to call them on my K9. I've heard others here speak to Kahr's good customer relations.

Stripping the gun for cleaning is simple, but the slide stop pin must usually be tapped out while holding the slide back to a certain position and putting them back in requires a bit of "finess," but I've never considered it difficult.

For dropping in your pocket, the Mk9 will beat the K9, but unless that's a major concern, I'd personally go with the K9.

Sorry that I couldn't answer more of your questions.

Best.

I can only speak to the full-size Kahr. I can get a full, three-finger grip onto the frontstrap with the magazine in the gun. The baseplate adds the last bit of room to make it perfectly comfortable. On the MKs that I've handled, I must curl the little finger up under the butt as I do with my Boot-gripped J-frame.

I find it to be similar to the P7 in recoil and muzzle flip, though the Kahr is smaller in size. I think that if you can find one with the shorter, Elite series trigger, you will perform much better with it. It is quicker to re-set, and shorter in pull-length, which would be more compatible with your H&K. Accuracy with its favored load can also approach that of the P7.

As Steven said, disassembly is a bit more difficult. You must hold the slide to the rear under strong spring pressure 'just so'. Then, you must use the butt of a scewdriver handle(for example) to pop the exposed head of the slide stop pin toward the left side of the pistol. It is retained in place by a firm spring which locks into a groove cut near its end. Then, pull the trigger to release the slide from the cocking cam and forward off of the frame.

The inventor of the Pager Pal favors a K40 with the Hogue wood stocks. I handled his gun at a show, and I felt them to add more bulk than I was comfortable with. Granted, the stock rubber Hogues of the gun are too sticky for use with such a holster. in that case, I would order a set of the rigind plastic Hogues that Kahr installs on the value priced E-9.

I like the MK9 better. I tried an early K9 and hated it. But the MK9 I like and own. Don't really no why.

2. Will the recoil and muzzle flip be as bad as the H&K USP Compact 9?

I've tried an USPc .357Sig and the recoil didn't seem snappy. I would say recoil with the Kahr might be a bit more with high-pressure rounds but will only be detrimental over long training periods (I get the shakes after about 50 Corbons through the MK9).

Should be able to.

Drop free and clear.

Hmmm. How do I say this? NO! I hate stripping my Kahr. You need three hands to do it right. Of course, I'm spoiled by Glocks and Sigs.

Not with these.

Good, from what I hear.

Don't know. Mine is completely stock.

Don't know, but you can find MK9s for less than $500 in GunList.

Based on my user name, what's your guess? :) I recently bought an MK9 for CCW in the pocket or IWB or for use with something along the lines of Thunderwear. Some might argue it's a tad heavy for the pocket, but that's what tailors are for -- reinforcing your pants pockets with some heavy material isn't that expensive. But I digress.

I like it because it's flat, small, and is designed with +P 9mm in mind.
2. Will the recoil and muzzle flip be as bad as the H&K USP Compact 9 which I hated (hard to believe its made by the same company which makes my silky-smooth P7M8.)?
I tried a USP Compact before settling on a Sig P228 about a year ago, and found it's recoil to be on the sharp side for pistols in its size class. That said: the MK9 recoils pretty sharply, but I've never really run into prblems controlling it, even with +P loads. With a good, firm grip it won't be a problem.
My hands are pretty average in size -- my pinky hangs off the end unless I'm using a 7rd K9 mag with extension. The flat, hard grips are pretty good for getting a hold of.
Drop free.
As others have mentioned it can be tricky. Once you get the hang of it, though -- no big deal.
Mine is still pretty new, so I can't really comment. They have a great reputation by and large.
Again, no basis for judgment. Solid reputation, though.
I don't think they make wood grips for the MK9, at least I haven't seen them. The hard rubber ones are good. Though truth be told, I really wish Hogue would make some overmolded soft ones like they do for the Colt Pocket Nine. The finger grooves would make it even easier to get a shooting grip as soon as you jerk it from the pocket holster.
I bought one in Georgia, in December for $479+tax on sale. They're normally around $500 in this neck of the woods. YMMV.

I agree with everything posted above but will add the following:

1. Wood grips can be bought directly from Kahr
http://www.kahrshop.com/accessindex.html#magwood

2. Customer service is good if you leave your gun box stock. However, should you choose to have it customized AT ALL, the factory warranty is voided.

3. If you reload, the MK9 can be frustrating. Not because it won't eat reloads. The MK9's really ding up the case mouths when the brass is ejected.

4. Field stripping is not too hard if you use the right technique. Just remember to always put the grips on the MK9 first before putting the slide on. It makes it much easier to reassemble.

I love my P9. I agree with about the HK 9. I compared it side by side with a sig P239 and the recoil was much less on the sig. It is even less on the p9. I like the full size grip on the p9 more than I did on my mk9. I traded the mk9 for my p9 primarily because of the weight. The mk9,though small was akin to carrying a large stone.

I have a K40, K9 staineless elite, and MK9 stainless elite.

"1. Which do you like better and why?"

The K9 is easier to shoot, the MK9 is easier to carry. I carry the MK9 more often than the K9 or K40. It's nice to be able to carry it in a pocket holster.

"2. Will the recoil and muzzle flip be as bad as the H&K USP Compact 9 which I hated."

I find the K9 to be a pussycat. The K40 impacts me on the web of the hand, between the thumb and forefinger. It isn't terrible, but after 75 rounds of 180gr, I'm done with the K40. The MK9 is in between. It's a bit snappy with 115gr +p+, but not bad at all.

"3. Will I be able to get a decent grip on the MK9(I have average size hands)?"

I have medium to large hands. I get a fine grip. With the flush magazine, I wrap my pinky under the baseplate.

"4. Do the mags drop free or do they stick?"

The all drop free.

"5. Are they easy to field strip?"

Until you learn the right way to do it, it seems like you need three hands. Here's the technique. 1) remove mag and visually check chamber. 2) repeat step 1. 3) repeat step 1. 4) are you really sure it's empty? 5) hold the gun in your right hand, and stick the thumb of your left hand through the trigger guard. Wrap the palm and fingers of your left hand over the slide. 6) Using your left hand, retract the slide to the takedown mark. You can now both hold the gun entirely in your left hand and keep the slide retracted the correct amount. 7) Keeping the slide in that position, flip the gun over and with your right hand, use the back of plastic screwdriver handle to tap the end of the slide stop pin flush with the frame. 8) Turn the gun back over and use your right hand to pull the slide stop pin free. 9) Release the slide. 10) dry fire the gun and pull the slide off forwards.

It's really quite easy once you get the hang of it. The trick is being able to hold the gun with the slide retracted using just one hand, so that your other hand is free to tap out the pin. Once you've got that, you'll have no problem.

"6. Any recurring problems?"

No.

"7. What is customer service like?"

I'd had the factory add night sights to my K40. The rear sight wouldn't stay centered -- it kept sliding to the left. I called Kahr. They told me to send it in. I did and they fixed it promptly under warranty. No complaints here.

"8. What effect do the wood handles have on felt recoil, slippage, etc.?"

Dunno, haven't tried them.

M1911

Just one thing to add. The "elite" series of Kahr's is the way to go. Different trigger geometry gives you a shorter stroke, longer reach, and only slightly harder pull. You can install the elite trigger in any steel Kahr (don't know about the p9). I was very pleased with the results after I put one in my MK9.
P.S. To improve the grip, I took a Hogue Handal jr., cut off the finger grooves, and glued it to the front strap
frank

I have one for sale

If you decide Kahr is for you, I have one in excellent condition for sale in the want adds.

I have had both the MK9 Elite, and I now have the K9 Elite. Both were reliable with all ammo, but the K9 is easier to get a handle on. I had the front strap of my MK stipled to get a better grip on it. I had the wood grips from Kahr, and while I got them to work was unimpressed with them from teh factory. I had to do a lot of trimming on the inside of the grips to get them to fit. I would pass on the grips unless you dont mind doing some fitting. Mags drop free. The MK is super easy to break down, but the K9 isnt real hard after you do it once. I had a great experience with kahr on my K9. When I got the gun, it had a hairline crack in the slide stop. I called Kahr, and was sent a new one, then 3 days later a second. about 2 weeks later I recieved my 3rd free slide stop from Kahr HAHA. I dont know about prices in Michigan, for Southern IN I paid $550 each for my Elites, I have seen stainless ones for $490 and blued around $450.

Back