Called Sig Sauer today

Linker

I was told that it is OK to use plus p ammunition in my p220 45 acp. I was also told not to use plus p plus in it. My sig was purchased in 1995 or 1996.

This is information I figured some needed mainly because it is not mentioned in the owner's manual.

So which is it?
I can’t tell from your post what Sig advised.
Well, since he’s allegedly from Texas, you should be able to decipher it. :confused:

But taking a wild stab at it, it sounds like Sig advised the OP that shooting +P .45acp ammo is okay, but to avoid the hotter +P+ ammo ... although truthfully I’ve never seen factory +P+ .45 ammo.

Last edited:
There is a SAAMI standard for .45acp +p. There is NO standard for +P+. ALL there is, is the convention that any and everything above +p is referred to as +p+.

You don't know if "+P+" is 1% above +P pressure or 150% above +P. Sig doesn't know, either, and has NO control over what you stick in the pistol, so no, NATURALLY, they are not going to approve the use of an unknown in their guns.

Same basic reason no maker warranties their gun with handloads. There is no industry standard, and no way to prevent a drastically unsafe load, so the advise against using them, and won't stand behind damage caused by you doing what they told you not to do.

You can find many guns which physically are capable of handling higher than standard pressures, but there are only a few rounds where there is a SAAMI industry standard for what +P pressure is. If a gun is not chambered for a cartridge which has such a standard, the maker is not going to approve use of "+P" ammo, for the same reason, since there is no standard everything from just barely more than factory all the way up to "blow your gun into little pieces" is ALL "+p"....

Well, since he’s allegedly from Texas, so you should be able to decipher it. :confused:

But taking a wild stab at it, it sounds like Sig advised the OP that shooting +P .45acp ammo is okay, but to avoid the hotter +P+ ammo ... although truthfully I’ve never seen factory +P+ .45 ammo.
1. I didn't catch the +P+
2. I've never heard of +P+
3. The OP is just fine, my reading, not so much

I should call about mine. W. German, bought in '87.
I have run thousands of +p147 9mm L.E. ammo through my German 226.
Change recoil spring about every 1000.
Chief had money that needed spent end of fiscal year and ordered more ammo than we could fit in the SWAT equipment room. All 147+p.

Last edited:
I guess I should've used +p instead of plus p and it wouldn't have been confusing. The tech said +p was ok but not +p+.
Didn't realize it was so hard to understand. On another note I have never seen 45acp +p+ either.

I guess I should've used +p instead of plus p and it wouldn't have been confusing. The tech said +p was ok but not +p+.
Didn't realize it was so hard to understand. On another note I have never seen 45acp +p+ either.
I think I remember seeing some Cor Bon 45ACP +P+ in the 1990s, but can't swear by it. Memory not what it used to be.

There's no such thing as +P+ 45ACP factory ammo. Case ain't strong enough for 28,000 psi. That's why the 45 Super was developed in the 1980's. A 45 Super round will chamber in most 1911's but that would be ill advised.

Case ain't strong enough for 28,000 psi.

The case is plenty strong, enough for that and a lot more, IF the gun is built to support the case at the higher pressure. Most semi auto .45acps aren't.

The .45 Super and a couple other wildcat/proprietary designs used a heavier case to make up for support existing gun designs didn't provide to allow safe use of higher pressure than the ACP.

45acp brass isn't strong or safe enough to run at 28,000 psi. period.
How a gun is built doesn't change that fact.
That's why the 45 Super was developed with heavier and thicker casings.

45acp brass isn't strong or safe enough to run at 28,000 psi. period.
How a gun is built doesn't change that fact.

This is absolutely incorrect. The fact is, that how a gun is built is the single most important factor in what amount of pressure it can handle.

It isn't that the .45ACP case is not strong enough to be safe at 28Kpsi, its that the majority of guns made for the .45acp are not made to support the brass well enough to allow it to safely run at 28Kpsi.

While I haven't personally done it, because I've never had a reason to try, I'm absolutely certain I could load .45acp brass to 28Kpsi (or likely more) and safely fire it from my new model Ruger Blackhawk convertible. The gun will take the "Ruger Only" .45 Colt loads that rival .44 Magnum, I'm positive the ACP cylinder would handle 28Kpsi acp loads.

However a tilt barrel semi auto would probably not handle those loads well, and might even be unsafe.

The classic example of it being the GUN, not the BRASS is the .45-70.

The Trap Door Springfield rifles are weak, strong enough for black powder but not beyond those pressures. Later, stronger rifle designs allow the .45-70 to be loaded to much higher pressures safely, while using the same brass case as the low pressure BP level loads.

The same case.

Its the gun, specifically how it supports the brass and how it locks up, not the brass case itself that determines what pressure level is safe.

Back