Caliper Jaws

ninosdemente

I came across online of someone who makes 3d printed caliper jaws that are caliber specific to get "consistent" measurement of brass size. I have attached a link, not near what the other has but same concept.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4463162
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2104211

The ones this person makes, has cut out/trimmed section where the brass sits well depending what one is loading. He has different calibers.

Has anyone used this type of method/regularly. If so, do you get consistent measurements?

Thank you in advanced.

I see little to no use for those in reloading. Maybe brass/neck thickness, but with most all calipers having an inside set of jaws, it's a simple matter of subtraction, which I'd not trust the repeatability of 3d printed, clip on jaws.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

About as useful as duct tape on a ruler.

I have been designing parts, jigs, tools, etc. and 3D printing them for about 5 years; and just got my second printer (much, much more precise and reliable).
I can tell you flat-out that those jaws are not going to be useful, unless you're just looking for "ballpark" measurements.

Fuggettabouttit.

I can see where they can handy used for their intended purpose , but I do not see what they would be good for in the reloading world . We worry about aluminum comparitors being too soft , using plastic would be even worse I would think .

Do you put on boxing gloves to type on your keyboard?
I have Lyman and HFT calipers. There is no add-on material to make them more accurate. Anything you would add will interfere with your measurement, and only add needless calculations or increase the risk of inaccurate results.

ninosdemete said:
I came across online of someone who makes 3d printed caliper jaws that are caliber specific to get "consistent" measurement of brass size. I have attached a link, not near what the other has but same concept.
It might help if you could post a link to the thingies you are actually talking about. I'm finding it very difficult to conceive of any way in which something added onto the caliper jaws might in any way make measurements more accurate rather than less accurate. I've been using a dial caliper to measure my brass for years, and I don't think my measurements are in any way inaccurate.

There is no way you’re going to improve the accuracy of a set of calipers by adding anything to the jaws. I retired as an engineer and back in the days when I was working I supervised three different metrology labs at different times. Calipers can be off simply by not wiping the dust off the jaws before taking measurements. Not by a lot, but enough to be considered “not accurate”. However, what people spend their money on is often amazing to me.

The links don't go to pages with anything gun-specific. But if you read all the English information down to the bottom of the page past the French in the second link, the maker himself says they compromise accuracy. They appear to be geared toward extending the throat of the jaws to make deeper measurements, but not equally precise ones.

Hahaha, that answered my question.

Now I wonder how some people swear on the product on its function if no accuracy can be achieved. Not questioning anyone's no or yes answers as I don't have the experience to even voice one.

It is a private Facebook page that I joined about reloading tools (mostly 3d). Saw a big list of people interested in buying different sets and was curious to ask about it.

I was kind of curious on the page as I don't have a 3d printer, but wanted to to see what can be made and be useful to a reloader. The creative tools they had. Did see some items that could be useful to me that doesn't require precision/accuracy. Primer catchers, storage for different tools I have, wall organizers, of that nature. I'm picky when it comes to organization and wish I could have some of those items. Just don't know what it costs. Don't know if I even want to know. LOL.

The links are free files but don't know if those files are usable for all 3d printer or if file formats vary from printer to printer.

I looked at the links. I think the first would be good for confirming case head expansion.

That said, printed part accuracy is too poor for use like this. It would be loose or not fit. Also tip shape would be way too irregular.

Regular calipers measure to 0.001" meaning their accuracy is to the nearest 0.001, so +/- 0.0005"

Anything you add to the caliper has to be to that same standard or it decreases the accuracy and repeatability of the measurement.

SO, if the "printed part" fits to a consistent 0.0005" it is usable. If not, its just extra junk that can distort the measurement.

Depending on what you are doing, this might matter...

I found it amusing that the jaws are for "digital vernier calipers". From an old guy who started out with Vernier calipers (and still uses them), I can tell you there ain't no digital Vernier calipers.

Back