California & the US Supreme Court

KDM

What impact would a pro-2nd Amendment Supreme Court ruling have on California's gun laws? I'm aware each state can set their own rules, but would a positive ruling have any effect on this state's laws? Love to get an unneutered AR...or an HK UMP...or a 556.

I'm afraid it's much to early to tell. It depends entirely on the direction and the scope of the SCOTUS ruling.

KDM: to answer this in detail you need to crack open a book. Pick either Stephen Halbrook's "That Every Man Be Armed" (1984) or Akhil Reed Amar's "The Bill Of Rights" (1998).

Halbrook is a professor of law at George Mason and known for doing cases for the NRA - in other words, "one of us". Amar is a wildly Liberal Yale law professor.

Both books cover exactly the same material. Amar independently rediscovered (to his horror) what Halbrook had reported with glee earlier regarding the 14th Amendment, "selective versus full incorporation" and the privileges and immunities clause...and comments regarding same by John Bingham.

Trust me: all of this goes to the core of your question. Right now you don't know enough to ask the right questions...either book is a start and you only need one...they're damn near the same thing, same material, most of the same source material and quotes.

Back