California SB-23 Compliant Stocks...

As much as I hate it....I love that idea.

F*ck 'em. If we keep modifying the assault weapons to fit their silly bills, eventually they will figure out that it is just another blasted rifle that just looks scarey. Take away the flash hider, take away the bayonet lug (that no one ever uses for a knife), take away the handle and it is just another rifle. I know that this is not the way to WIN (we need to fight these kinds of laws tooth and nail) , but at least it shows them how silly they are.

gentlemen,i am not a lawyer,and i hope that this design is legal.but---i do not beleive this will make your -ar15-comply with sb23.i think the only way that this type ar15 would be legal is if it was -manufactured-like this,which is exactly what -bushmaster-armalite-and others will be doing in kalifornia after 01-01-00.save your money till you see d.o.j.interpretation of sb23.you still have 1 year and 3 months before you have to make a decision.--thankyou----arthur

Arthur,

This is right off of the CALNRA site at http://calnra.org I tend to think that they know what they are talking about.

Here's our list of SB-23 busters.

We said early on that we'll begin to see suppliers that produce stocks that replace thumbhole and pistol grip stocks found on AR, AK, FAL, HK and other series of rifles that fall under SB-23. SB-23 basically bans the sale and requires registration of firearms that have certain characteristics. We said it wouldn't take long for manufacturers or some smart entrepreneurs to come up with alternatives to make firearms comply with SB-23.

In essence, if you modify the rifle by eliminating the offending characteristics IT WILL NOT REQUIRE REGISTRATION! Your objective is to modify your firearm by either removing the offending piece and storing it separately from your receiver or replace the components so they comply with the law. Our job as gun owners is to tweak the nose of our legislature. It is our job to tell them to take the next step. It is our job to register as few firearms as possible...LEGALLY!

The following list are suppliers who manufacture components that legally get around SB-23. However, it is your job to make sure these components comply with the letter of the law. Not ours! If in doubt, find another supplier or contact an attorney.

If you know of suppliers who claim to support the new California Assault Weapon ban, let us know who they are and we will post a link to their site.

Here's what we have so far.

GunCompliantStocks TM We've seen these folk's product on an AK and AR series rifle. It eliminates the pistol grip on the AR series and the thumb hole stock on the AK series with a thumb rest design. It makes the product a non-assault weapon and therefore no registration is required. Additionally, dealers who are stuck with inventory effective 1 January, 2000 can modify their stock to comply with the new law. They offer components for the FAL series with HK, VEPR, M-96 Expeditionary and Barret .50BMG coming soon.

Joe

nra life,joe-i agree withn everything you have to say.i am just saying that until i see d.o.j.interpretation of sb23,i am going to hold unto my 90 bucks.i have spoken to steve helsley and another gent at cal.nra,a mr.woodly or woolsly-i do not recall,and they told me the same things that you are relaying.i agree that the goal is to -tweak-and to not register{legally}-have you seen d.o.j. interpretation of sb23,i have not.i beleive i have 1year 3months to make a decision,i hope that you and cal.nra are correct,but until there is a-legal-binding interpetation by the boneheads that will be enforceing the law -the dept.of justice-i am going to hold off for a bit.i quote cal.nra- it is your job to make sure that these components comply with the-letter of the law-thankyou ----arthur

Someone started a thread about this over on AR15.com the other day. Don't remember if it was in general, legal or gun rights forum. But as he said, SB23 defines an AW as (among other things) having the capacity to accept a detachable mag and etc... Ok, now it's clear it has to have the capacity to accept a detachable mag. But the way it's worded doesn't say detachable mag COMMA and if it has one of these additional features it's an AW. It could be interpreted to mean "capacity to accept a detachable mag and the capacity for one of the following". Since the pistol grip and stock on most AW's are not a permanent part of the receiver, they do always have the capacity to accept a pistol grip. The wording is very ambiguous. Until the DOJ or a court gives a written clarification of the meaning I don't think removing the pistol grip and/or replacing it with something else will circumvent the law. Regardless of what the NRA says. This ambiguity is one of the big reasons why there is a petition drive to get SB23 on the ballot and voted down. Too many more PC looking rifles could also fall under the AW law since they do in fact have the "capacity" to accept a pistol grip via a aftermarket stock.

[This message has been edited by Pthfndr (edited October 01, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Pthfndr (edited October 01, 1999).]

I'm thinking of yanking out the gas tube on my AR and replacing it with a (short) solid piece of brass. Viola! Straight pull bolt action rifle with a detachable 120 round drum magazine.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back