California law, "models" and your vote

alan

It is my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, that the state legislature has passed, and the governor has signed legislation outlawing "hi-cap magazines (more than 10 rounds)". This legislation includes ALL items, there being no provision "grandfathering in" existing items, already owned.

Seems that for some time now, California has been a hot-bed of anti gun legislation and agitation. For instance, the original "assault weapons bill (Roberti-Roos was enacted in 1989". There have been, at state level, several elections since then, and from what has happened in the legislative field since, it seems that the anti-gunners have been getting re-elected, perhaps they have added to their numbers at Sacramento.

Don't pro-gunners in California to vote, or are there so few of them, this seems counter to what I remember of the area when I lived there years ago, that they cannot make a difference at election time, or during the primaries?

I have heard people say "I don't vote cause my vote does not make any difference". Maybe so, but in the last election, a seat in The Unites States Senate from Nevada turned on about 500 votes. Anyone believe that in Nevada, there weren't 5 or 600 voters who stayed away, because "their votes didn't count". Might that be the answer for California, who knows, but in some races, a few hundred votes most definately can make a large difference.

For those who are not California voters, think that voting in your own elections might perhaps become a worth while exercise? Needless to say, often it is NOT a question of a democrat vs a republican, for some have claimed that the only difference between the two is the speed at which they will betray gun owners rights, a position that might be hard fact. Take a close look at voting records, and ask questions, the answers one sometimes gets can be surprising.

Sad to say, but in CA there are more anti-gunners in the state capital. Seems no matter how we vote the Counties of LA & San Fran over ride the rest of the state. If you ever look at a map of counties for the state and how they vote, you can draw a line down the San Andreas fault. Everything to the pacific side is liberal, to the east is conservative. If it were not for DC and a few others I'd say just let the whole mess fall into the ocean. But as bad as it seems, there are still those of us here who are still in there fighting.

Richard

Alan...
A large problem is that CA citizens are even more apathetic than the rest of the nation in terms of following legislation. You'll have folks come out in droves to vote on some horsecrap feel good spending stuff, but bread and butter issues are ignored. Further, almost every state legislator is a bald-faced liar...my Assemblyman is a first termer and an alleged conservative Republican and he campained on being pro 2ndA. Well...he voted aye on SB23. I had my doubts about him in the first place: his first elected office was as mayor of Santa Maria...he ran a pretty personal attack campaign...ousted the long time incumbent mayor...then doesn't even finish the term before getting into the assembly.
Another problem is that all CA gun laws are legislative...nothing ever on the ballot.

I may be wrong, but I believe that the current petition drive to get a direct vote referendum on SB23 will be the first direct vote on a gun issue.

Once on the ballot, even if we lose a positive will be making more citizens aware of the ineffectiveness of gun laws and crime. It will get nasty and heated and polarizing which is fine with me. The result will be ads on TV promoting the pro-gun side for a change...folks will think for a change and sides will be chosen.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Arizona watches what goes on in Califorina, and what I see scares me. Our legislators have a habit of copy cating what you folks in Cali do.

Californian large cities are considered some of the most dangerous in the country. LA has become a real hell hole,(been there plenty of times.) The good people are calling out for relief from gang and drug related violence. They turn to their representatives for help. This is what they have been lead to believe, the government shall keep you safe. The truth of the matter is that the legislators don't have a clue about what to do. The answers cost to much money, are not popular with most groups, go against the poloitically correct agenda and worst of all might actually cost some fat cat some money.

If the representatives and local governments want to do something about violence, they need to hit the real issues: drugs, poverty, moral decay and the welfare mentality. But this may take some real work, go against the new left agenda and God Forbid, actually take some thought.

We are seeing similar rumblings coming from Pheonix. I don't know if even here in AZ if we will be able to hold them off much longer. For now, all I can offer is cover fire for the refugees fleeing the Peoples Repulic of Kalifornia to Aizona because they dared to own an SKS.

------------------
Joe Portale
Sonoran Sidewinder
Tucson, Arizona territory

Back