California concealed carry

led0321

For any of you in San Diego.

I am looking at getting stationed in San Diego next summer and I would like to get my California CCW.

Is it impossible to get without having a "legitimate reason". Is the protection of my family going to work?

Doesn't look good since the 9th ruling this summer:

“Based on today's decision, the procedure of obtaining a license to carry a concealed weapon within the County of San Diego will continue as it has since the 1980s,” the statement read. “As always, anyone who believes that they may have circumstances which place them in harm's way, and necessitate the ability to carry a concealed firearm, can apply for a license with the Sheriff's Licensing Division. Good cause is evaluated on an individual basis.”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-peruta-ruling-ninth-2016jun09-htmlstory.html

(I do so love the AG's line: “The court's decision is a victory for public safety and sensible gun safety laws...." )

Yup

Yea. I am hoping there are CCW holders on this forum from San Diego. I wouldn't mind being stationed there if I could carry and protect my family.

San Bernardino County issues with personal protection as a good cause statement. They have been issuing like this for forever so Peruta has no effect on them.
The drawback is the process is slow. The livescan takes a while due to a huge rush of CCW applications. The SBSO has a small CCW office. At one time there were 7000 apps pending. This was after the San Benardino shooting. Wait times are close to a year now.

I think Orange County is issuing but again the process is slow.
Go to Calguns.net and sign up. Every question you could possible ask can be answered in the concealed carry forums.

Good luck. Out of 3.2 million residents, San Diego County only has approved 2,000 concealed carry permits.

Am I the only one that finds it odd that 2,000 people not involved in police work (I'm assuming by the need for a CCW) were able to prove that someone either currently is or may in the future try to kill them? Even out of 3.2 million people that is a lot of people when you take into account what I imagine is a very stringent application process through a very anti-gun state and county.

Am I the only one that finds it odd that 2,000 people not involved in police work (I'm assuming by the need for a CCW) were able to prove that someone either currently is or may in the future try to kill them? Even out of 3.2 million people that is a lot of people when you take into account what I imagine is a very stringent application process through a very anti-gun state and county.

Knowing how government often works, my guess is most of those 2000 people have money, power, position, or some combination of the three.

Remember there are lots of criminals carrying illegally. I was stationed there for 6 months in the 90's and felt OK, but I don't know about now.

There are also fees involved...

There are several fees involved. They will vary from agency to agency, but as a guideline:
• $70 – $125 – Department of Justice (fingerprints & background check)
• $100 – Local processing fee
• Training – varies, typically no more than $250, at most.

http://www.usacarry.com/california_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

The fees can vary by county as well. In some areas over a grand.

Some counties require a psychological test to see if you are of "good moral character", "good judgement", etc. This can cost you over $250. alone.

http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-for-a-CCW-in-California

While these requirements are not barriers to the rich and connected, they are barriers to working people. The penalties for being caught carrying without permits also fall most heavily on working class people.

Not all experiences are all negative. See below...

http://concealednation.org/2015/01/...-a-look-at-the-process-of-obtaining-a-permit/

tipoc

We're well aware that 2,000 permittees in a population of 3.2 million is a travesty, but by way of comparison, my town of Burlington WA has over 400 permittees in 8,000 people. That's expected to top 500 permits by end of year, due to our recent mall shooting.

Camp Pendleton would be so amazing, but it just has to be in California. You'll have slightly (very very slightly) better luck in Orange County than you will in San Diego county, so if you haven't already found a place to live start looking north (assuming you'll be on Pendleton, and assuming your MOS is in your username, Camp Flores is right at the dividing line between SD and OC, so you aren't going to be driving any further by getting a place north of base. That being said, don't have high hopes. The only guy I ever worked with that managed to get a permit had a vending machine business on the side, so he was able to leverage the fact that he carried lots of cash on a daily basis when he filled out his permit application.

Back