California and the 500 S&W?

bbigboomer

Inactive
Somewhere, I remember reading that the 50 cal handguns were not legal to own in Californicate. I see Turners Sporting good offering them for sale? I see people listing 500 S&W ammo for sale, but not to Cal.?? ANYBODY KNOW THE FACTS????

There's no ban on 50cal handguns.

There MIGHT be a de-facto ban if S&W or others hasn't submitted sample guns for (destructive!) testing. Lemme check...

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Looks like a LOT of S&W X-frame variants are currently certified. Dunno if it's all models but it's certainly a decent selection.

The BFR is exempt from testing because it's a single action revolver of at least five shots, at least 7.5" long measured parallel to the barrel. (The law was trying to make sure SA minirevolvers have to get checked out.) So because the BFR isn't on the "approved list", Magnum Research is telling you it doesn't need to be on the "approved" list as it's part of a general class of approved revolvers covering the Colt SAA and similar.

That length thing tripped Ruger up at one point: the Single Six in .32 with a bird's-head grip frame didn't quite meet the length requirement.

Back