Caliber

Jeffly

I was reading the rules of sass about approved calibers, for traditional it said the caliber had to be made before 1896, Can any one tell me if the >357 Magnum qualifies for this? Thanks Jeff

Jeffly,

Most folks that use .357 pistols shoot .38 Specials in them. What ever case you use,the ammo has to be loaded to SASS specs-lead bullets that don't travel above 1000 fps.

Bellicose Bill

The reason I ask is my Rifle dosn't feed 38's very well,and I actually like shooting the .357 better than the 38. I just wanted to make sure the .357 magnum was a legal size the rules I read on the internet only mentioned the date and the velocity, not the specific bullet. Thanks Jeff

Howdy Jeff, I shoot .357's and just load them to .38 special specs. A lot of folks shoot .38 special cases in their pistols but I prefer the .357 cases. Since this is what your rifle needs then I'd load the same for the pistol so you don't have to change your reloading set up.

Angel Diamond

The others are correct. When reading the rule book don't confuse caliber size with type of gun permitted. The gun is of a 1899 or earlier period. The caliber is of a certain size or larger. Your .357 is okay because it is the size and it is pistol caliber. Your gun is permitted by age or reproduction of a certain age.

Back