Caliber Selection for Protection

9mmLaw

I need to select a handgun for someone who finds a full load .38 too much to handle and the gun must be a revolver. I have looked at ballistics as a starting point but need some input.

1. Winchester makes a 110 grain .38 (I assume the recoil would be reduced compared to a 158 grain)

Muzzle velocity: 945 and 218 ft. lbs. energy

2. Federal .32 H&R Magnum 85 grain JHP

Muzzle velocity: 1100 and 230 ft. lbs energy

3. Federal .22 Magnum 50 grain JHP (I assume the figures below are from a rifle)

Muzzle velocity: 1650 and 300 ft. lbs. energy

Assuming a .22 mag pistol is close to the above, other than the fact the bullet is half the weight of the .38, it seems the 22 mag is not a bad choice. What I'm I missing with the above figures.

Thanks

Will the person be shooting out of a full-sized (K-frame or larger) revolver, or out of some itty-bitty J-frame-type? The size and mass of the launching platform is of some import to the problem you pose.

For example, I don't know anyone who would have difficulty firing a non+P 158-grain .38 load out of a 4" bbl on a K-, L-, or N-frame. Similarly, even the much-ballyhooed .45 acp is pretty much a pussycat out of a 5" N-frame.

Out of a J-frame, though . . . .

If you're already set-up with the .38 (as it sounds you are, since you know the person is unable to handle the heavy bullets), give a try with the 110-grainers before you do anything else. Winchester makes/made a 95-grain Silvertip as well, but it was +P so the flash and noise could conceivably be distressing to your shooter.

I think you're better off with the .38 than the .32 for all kinds of reasons (ability to move up in power as ability increases, price, availability, stopping power, etc.), and I think the .22 mag is a dubious stopper, particularly out of the short bbl of a revo (tho my wife is most comfortable with "her" .22 lr revo, and that's what she uses).

HOW DO WE KNOW WHAT'S MISSING IF IT'S MISSING?

You're missing the size of the hole.

Suggest (seriously) deciding on PLATFORM FIRST, then worrying about caliber and/or load.

I recommend a 38 Special (S&W M10, M13 or M65) loaded with Federal 129g Hydra-Shok, or an SP101 32 Mag firing a non-RN bullet.
If that's too much, pick a platform and contact me direct for ammo (9x19/38 and up ).

The 38 might be to much on a small gun. My little 640 kicks pretty good with full load 357's. On a big gun they are nothing. Like Weshoot2 said, pick a gun and then choose caliber.

I'd say what's missing is that you're assuming that the velocity for .22 Mag. out of a handgun is going to be close to 1,100 fps.

I don't think it's going to be.

.22 Mag. uses pretty slow powders that are optimized for rifle use, not handgun use.

Out of a 4" barrel I'd say that you'd be down closer to 1000 fps., meaning that you've now dropped back to 110 ft. lbs. of energy.

Erich is on the right track. Before I would go to anything less than a .38 Special, I'd get a larger frame -- greater mass -- revolver. L and N frame Smiths and Ruger GP100s -- both with at least four inch barrels -- should allow anyone to fire any .38 Special (including +Ps) with adequate comfort.

Taurus makes a nice 8 shot 22 mag

And this caliber is real nasty at close range even out of a handgun. The one fellow I know who used one ( the small version of the automag 2) shot the perp in the knee, belw it up and caused enough damage that it could not be repaired. This says good things to for using the 22 magnum for close range defence. Especially if the FBI load in a 38 is ruled out. Use the 40 grain hollow points and breath easy. 8 rounds of 22 mag will do the job.

Thanks for all the replies. The gun is to be used solely for the house, no CCW in CA. The shooter has smallish hands and not alot of hand strength.

"House gun? Smallish hands? Recoil sensitive?"
Here's my humble suggestion. Taurus 605. It's a .357 mag. but stoke it up with .38 spl. Federal Match wadcutters. Anyone ought to be able to handle that. Then when your friend gets more comfortable after LOTS OF PRACTICE he/she can switch to .357 mag. Fed HydraShok or one of the other fine personal defense loads.
Do not talk your friend into anything less than a .38. You wouldn't be doing them any favors, in my opinion.

The first rule is to have a gun. Second seems to be about reliability.

A .44 would be nice, but a .22 meets the first rule.

Giz

"Home defense, small hands, limited strength." IMHO a 6 shot 38spl snubbie w/round butt just might do the trick if loaded with standard velocity 125 gr Nyclad hollow points (ie, RB Mdl 10, Det. Spl, or Ruger speed six). However, if you live in South Central, the Barrio, or Anaheim all bets are off and the least you want is a 20 ga. riot gun w/18.5" bl, folding stock, and extended magazine plus the above revolver. My humble opinion is based on having lived and worked in southern Kal for several years. It ain't getting no better. HTH.

SgtMaj13
Semper Fi

The Taurus .22 mag is a nice gun, but sounds like the end of the world when fired and has a huge muzzle flash. I think it would intimidate an inexperienced shooter.
I didn't have confidence in mine's stopping power and traded it in on a Detective Special.

Suggest getting this person to a range and trying as many different guns as possible. Keeping the loads mild.

Also suggest a handgun safety course.

If you select something she doesn't feel good about shooting, she won't shoot it enough to become proficient with it.

Sam

Back