Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

C Philip

I think I remember reading somewhere that in some states you could not carry anything over .45 caliber. Is there any truth to this, and if so, what states have caliber restrictions? Are the restrictions just on the diameter of the bullet or also on how powerful the round is? i.e. 44 magnum is lower diameter than 45 acp, but more powerful (not trying to start a caliber war here, just an example).

In Texas there is no caliber restriction. If you can conceal it you can carry it. I am speaking of handguns of course. There is a site called uscarry.org or something like that. Plus the Concealed Carry Assoc. of A. You might check their sites.

Doesn't sound right. Another caliber is added every other year or so. Who with influence over the laws would care to keep track? Check with you local sheriff if you are in doubt.

I thought that any handgun over .50 cal is illegal? (with blackloading musket pistols being the exception)

This would make the .50 GI,.50 AE, .50 S&W, etc the biggest caliber pistols one could carry?

.45 is the limit in Oklahoma. Oklahoma has some strange rules for concealed carry. There are three classes of weapons you can carry: derringer, revolver, and pistol. If you qualify using a derringer - you can only carry a derringer; same conditions for revolver. However if you qualify using a pistol then you are allowed to carry all three. As a revolver guy it just seems silly to me because we had a guy in my concealed carry class that was relatively new to guns, but now he is qualified to walk the streets with his S&W J frame since he completed the class using a full sized rented Glock.

Nothing larger than .45 in Alabama either. Doubt they would try to enforce it if I decided I wanted to carry one of those .500 snubs :D

In all 50 states a handgun is a firearm that is "capable of being concealed" and dealt with accordingly.

There's no restriction in South Carolina as to caliber, but one should always think of a handgun as what you use to fight your way to your rifle or shotgun in extremis, or as a fire extinguisher at best.

Alaska used to have a caliber restriction that limited you to the caliber of pistol you qualified with during CHL training. So if you showed up with a 9 mm that was all you could carry. If you showed up with and qualified with a .45 or larger then you could carry anything from a .22 to the bore diameter you shot your qual with.

This was only in effect when the CHL was first enacted. Following legislative sessions did away with the nonsense requirements and tweeked the laws to what they are now.

We need to get rid of the school restriction now.

I thought that any handgun over .50 cal is illegal? (with blackloading musket pistols being the exception)

They are. Hamilton Bowen had to jump through so many hoops with the ATF to build his .577 Redhawk he says he'll probably never do it again.

As mentioned previously, SC has no specific caliber restrictions for concealed carry. Obviously it must be legal to possess. The only restriction is on the size of the firearm as noted in the following cite:

"Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property. S.C. Code § 23-31-210(5) (2007).

Even in States with reciprocity, it may be useful to know if the State you are visiting has particular restrictions different than your State of residence. However, unless you are carrying something that is not really practical for concealed carry, I doubt you'll have any problems.

PA carry law

"Firearm."
Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

Note: some of these can be NFA items. PA Law doesn't exempt you from federal law requirements.

Back