Caliber .30 Match - 1957 - Frankford Arsenal

cek

I've had this ammo can of "Caliber .30 Match" sitting around since my dad died. He was a serious competitive shooter in the '50s and '60s (I have his amazing collection of National Match tropies).

He sold off his' M1's before he died so sadly I didn't get eny of 'em (my memory is faint, but knowning my dad's passion for M1's they were off the charts top notch).

Anyay, another thread on M1 ammo, reminded me that I had this can and made me wonder if it's "special" in some way.

3877476122_f0c82af4fe.jpg

3877499366_b3ab0a1aa5.jpg

There are 11 boxes of 20 rounds each. They are unopened and the ammo can is marked

240 CAL .30 CARTRIDGES
MATCH T291
BULK IN 8RD CLIPS
LOT LC 12002

3876707175_041fca1ee4.jpg

However, the can has a label over the picture of a clip that reads "boxes" and the boxes contained therin do NOT contain clips and are of a different lot. And as you can see from the picture the lot # has been scratched off (all the boxes).

If this stuff is super valuable to someone I'd consider a sell/trade (ooh, for an M1!!! <g>). If not I'll probably just keep it until I get that M1 (not on my short list right now) and shoot it.

Thoughts? Comments?

Especially valuable? No. Superb shooting ammunition in any rifle of that caliber? Yes. The can was originally painted for storage of clipped ammo; the labels were just so folks would ignore the painted symbol and know what was in the can.

My condolences on losing your father, but he knew good ammo.

Jim

Sweet. Thanks for the info Jim.

Now if I could just track down those Garands he sold and buy them back :-).

If you shoot it, be very careful.

The military was still loading certain batches of match ammo with corrosive primers and some with corrosive AND mercuric primers as late as the mid 1960s.

If the rounds are so loaded the boxes SHOULD be market.

Corrosive ammo requires the rifle and gas system to be cleaned with a water-based material to dissolve the priming salts that could lead to rusting.

Mercuric primed ammuntion requires DISPOSAL of the cartridge cases - they MUST NOT be reloaded.

Back