Caldwell Shooting Bags Filler

I bought a Caldwell Rear Shooting Bag and I don't know what to fill it with. I'm thinking rice or maybe beans, but I was wondering what you filled yours with?

That depends on how malleable you want it, and how heavy you want it.

I use corn cob tumbler media (just ground corn cobs). It makes for easily manipulated and fairly light bags.

But, I know several shooters that prefer filling their bags with lead shot.
Their bags can be difficult to form to the shape you desire, when overpacked, and, of course, they're quite heavy (15-25 lbs just for a rear bag).

I have the front and rear bags and filled them with sand. Much too heavy to carry around, but they do stay in place. I have to try the corn cobb in them and see how that works.

Jim

I tried both heavier & lighter fillers than sand. I ended up going back to sand. The lighter ones didn't "stay put" & the heavier options were a huge pain to drag found the range.
Now I just get "play sand" from Toys R Us.

I filled my Bulls Bag with tumbler media, works well enough for me. Plus I have hauled it out into a prairie dog down a couple times, I ain't gonna do that with a lead or sand filled one.

I have mixed sand with tumbler media.
The sand settles to the bottom of the bag and helps keep it in place and the media is easy to form to fit.
Cuts the weight way down.

Poly pellets

To keep from going organic or abrasive, I went to Polyethylene High Density pellets. They handle well and are not too heavy. Each pellet is about 1/8" X 1/8" and disc shaped. .... :)

Be Safe !!!

Yep, too heavy and impractical, I have never even considered taking one in the field..
I have always used a Bipod and or BackPack in the field….A Tree in a pinch :)

Quote:
I like rice
Obviously you only use your bag at the range. If you use it in the field and it gets wet, you'll have a nasty mess.

Left mine out in the rain one night with no adverse effects. Have several that stay in my truck 24/7 for at least 4 years now. I live in a high humidity environment but have yet to notice any adverse effects. As a side plus, if you ever get lost you'll have an instant source of food:D

Back