CAI Sporter Buttstock Question

Have replaced the Bell & Carlson thumbhole stock with an inexpensive plastic replica(?) L1A1 type.

Ergonomically, the thumbhole was like 120 grit toilet paper- a real pain. But I really appreciated the quality of construction; B & C are tops.

Overall, I like the configuration of the replacement, but I am concerned about durability. I'm afraid a good accidental drop (or a bust across the chops) would break it.

I'll definitely consider a wooden stock (I think it might help the balance) but is there a better quality plastic one available? With a metric lower, is there any restriction on using a FAL unit? Which ones might be prefered?
Thanks, everyone- I've really enjoyed finding this board.

------------------
God Bless America!

U say that U have replaced the thumbhole stock. I am guessing that U have an importrd rifle. The only way LEGALY that U can have a pistol grip stock on an imported rifle after 89 is if the whole gun has less then 10 imported parts. I ran into this with my AK. I had to replace the stock, forearm, fire control group, magazine follower, and mag floor plate with parts made in the US stupid yes LEGAL-yes I have seen US stock kits for FAL rifles in Shotgun news BTW I beleive that the penalty for this is 10years$10,000 has anyone ever heard of anybody being charged with illeagal possesion of an NFA regulated assault weapon?
Later
Daren

Be sure that you get the correct buttstock for your weapon. The metric buttstock is slightly different than the inch version. The back of the receiver where the buttstock attaches on the metric pattern is flat. On the inch pattern it is stepped.
Have you considered the Druganov (sp) stock? It is a skeletonized thumbhole stock. I've seen them on quite a FALs. No personal experience with them though. If I recall correctly, they run around $80. Haven't seen any for sale recently.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited February 16, 1999).]

You will find that the Synthetic T-hole stocks really don't measure up to "Custom Fit" T-Hole Stocks. The fitting of the hand is as important as the length of pull and drop of the comb.

Reinhart Fajen makes an excellent semifinished or drop in stock for many common rifles. See home page @
http://members.tripod.com/~stock4broker/Firearms.html

I especially like the T-holes, as they are more comfortable to shoot, reduce arc of movement and reduce recoil. Use to custom fit these stocks and they are, in my opinion, better than synthetic.

HJN

Back