Cadets with Martinis

Arquebus

Thought you might appreciate this old photograph. It was taken in Lincolnshire, England c.1914 & it shows a group of young men who belong to a Cadet/ROTC-type organization known as the Territorials. As you can see, the boys are all carrying Martini Carbines of some type. Both of my grandfathers are in the photo as young lads.

territorials2.jpg

Is that the Martini-Henry that they used against the Zulus?

Very similar, the Zulu wars were in the 1870s, & at that time the Martini-Henry was chambered for the .577/.450 cartridge. At a later date (late 1880s) many were converted to Martini-Metfords & chambered the .303 British (with Metford-style rifling) & later still to Martini-Enfields, again in .303 British but with Enfield-style rifling which was found to fare better with smokeless powders. My grandad told me one time that the carbines in the photo were in .303, so they should be either Martini-Metfords or Martini-Enfields, & I am told they are of the artillery pattern.

Zulu.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I was wondering if they were Artillery Carbines, and if they were original 577/.450s or .303 conversions.

I was wondering if they were Artillery Carbines

Apparently the Cavalry Carbine didn't have a bayonet lug as the ones in the photo do, making them Artillery Carbines. I've liked Martinis for years, but have only just bought my first full-size military one, a Mk.II rifle in .577/.450, that came from the Nepali cache. I've had a number of the BSA .310 Cadets over the years & one day I'll get a carbine like the ones my grandads have in the photo.

Back