Cabellas Kodiak Express Double rifle

k77/22rp

I saw it here. Can be had in .72 caliber!!! :eek:, takes 550 grain lead balls, Does anyone have any experience with this rifle I wonder what kind of velocity and energy you'd be getting, If i didnt have a million other guns to buy right now, I would probably get one. My birthday is coming up anyone want to but it for me. :D

I have one of the dbl 12 guage shotguns.I plan on ordering the 50 cal dbl rifle soon.

These guns are made by pedersoli.Much nicer than the junk CVA guns!The triggers are quite rough when you get them but clean up nice.The rifle does have a sling attachment.Its one thing the shotgun did not have.I had to rig up swivels on it!

The 72 cal would be nice but I don"t mould my own.
If you choose one I would suggest you buy the balls from
http://www.trackofthewolf.com .They have a great selection!

You know you want it. So put in some overtime at work for the extra cash to buy that rifle.

Then you only need to put in six months of overtime at work for that African Safari......

Was lookin' at the Davide-Pedersoli.com website and I noticed a few details about these double-rifles that got me thinkin' ???

First, the rifling twist rates for the .50, .58 & .72 are all 1-in-48",
while the .54 is about 1-in-65".

In .50 caliber, a 48" twist is a compromise for both round balls or conicals
In .58 & .72, the same 48" twist is getting close to conicals only
and at 65", the .54 caliber seems to be made specifically for round balls only
Why ???

2nd thought: I tend to like round balls for many reasons. One of them is that, once seated on top of the powder charge, tightly patched RB's tend to stay put. I've had Minnie and Maxi(type) balls slide up the barrel, just from carrying the rifle around the woods for awhile. (with black powder, this empty space, could result in a bulged barrel, at best!) If you load conical style bullets in a double-rifle, will the bullet in barrel #2 stay seated, after all the recoil of firing barrel #1 ???

Interesting question,

I would test this by seating the conical bullet loads and then marking the ramrod. I would fire the first barrel and then check the second barrel by inserting the ramrod in barrel #2.

If it does travel then I would go with roundball loads only. I would also write a letter to the manufacturer for them to go with slower Forsyth rifling in the .72 caliber rifle

Just got the 2002 Dixie Gun Works Catalog. It says that the .72 caliber Kodiak double rifle has "Broached rifling .004" deep with 1-86" twist". If true, that's slow enough for round-balls, but kinda shallow. Every other source still shows 1-in-48" ???

Also noticed that the .72 model has shorter 25.625" barrels, instead of the 28" tubes on .50, .54, and .58 rifles.

Back