Cabelas dearth of handguns!

Prof Young

Had opportunity to take a look at the Cabelas in St. Paul. Never seen Cabelas handgun cases so empty. Went into look for primers and those were scarce too. In some ways I take that all as a good thing.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Last time I was the local Cabela's I couldn't get close enough to read the prices on the pistols still in the display case but I suspect they were mostly the $800 plus price range.

Sadly, the local Cabella's (Bristol VA) merged with the nearby Bass Pro (Bristol TN) in Jan. Visited the Bass Pro yesterday, just to look. Sad, sad, sad. No powders, no hand gun bullets, no primers, ZERO hand gun ammunition of any caliber. Not, even any 22LR. Not an AR type on display. Had enough hand guns to look over but the counter was not busy. Did see two gun sales being made. I MISS Cabella's Gun Library. Only item that caught my eye was a S&W Shield 40 Cal at $349. And, a S&W 629 @ $999!!!!!!

A range buddy was making a "supply" run today and asked me if I needed or wanted anything. Gave him a shopping list of powders and primers, told him whatever they had on the list I would take it. Called me when he got back and I got one brick of primers out of the 4 different I listed, and 4# total of 2 different powders. I needed some of these 2 so I lucked out totally today.

Kearney Cabela's has quite a few handguns. however unless you have a 25 acp , 41 mag or 44 mag there isn't any ammo to shoot in them

Sadly, the local Cabella's (Bristol VA) merged with the nearby Bass Pro (Bristol TN) in Jan. Visited the Bass Pro yesterday, just to look. Sad, sad, sad. No powders, no hand gun bullets, no primers, ZERO hand gun ammunition of any caliber. Not, even any 22LR. Not an AR type on display. Had enough hand guns to look over but the counter was not busy. Did see two gun sales being made. I MISS Cabella's Gun Library. Only item that caught my eye was a S&W Shield 40 Cal at $349. And, a S&W 629 @ $999!!!!!!
Both the Cabelas and Bass Pro are almost new and I hoped that they would keep both because Bass Pro is in Tennessee and Cabelas was in Virginia. They chose to close Cabelas in Virginia so I have no reason to shop at Bass Pro because it complicates and raises the final price of handguns. I bought a couple of handguns at Cabelas but I will shop at LGS from now on.

Both the Cabelas and Bass Pro are almost new and I hoped that they would keep both because Bass Pro is in Tennessee and Cabelas was in Virginia. They chose to close Cabelas in Virginia so I have no reason to shop at Bass Pro because it complicates and raises the final price of handguns. I bought a couple of handguns at Cabelas but I will shop at LGS from now on.

That sucks. It is kinda funny though that if you’re coming into Tennessee from East or West you’re immediately greeted by a Bass Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They did basically the same thing with the Ft. Olgethorpe GA Cabelas and the Chattanooga TN BPS. I purchased several rifles from Cabelas both VA & GA due to prices, etc. BPS employees are nowhere near as nice, polite, helpful, etc. as Cabelas.

Last time I was the local Cabela's I couldn't get close enough to read the prices on the pistols still in the display case

It's not just Cabela's. Scheels, Fleet Farm and many places put the guns in the locked display cases with a small tag with the information about the gun that's tough to read. Some stores are particularly irritating because the staff doesn't insure that the tags are info side toward customer. Looking at the blank back side of the tag is frustrating. Would a 3x5 card take up that much additional display case area? (I dunno. Display case area might be a retail consideration.)

That said I sometimes feel a bit of sympathy for the clerks, if I don't have my reading glasses with me I have a real hard time reading the tags even when they hand me the gun. I've often thought the clerk is thinking, "Geez! I'm selling a GUN to a BLIND GUY! There's going to be film on the local news channel about this!"

Back