Cabela's 1858 New Army .44

I have one, and I find it to be a decent piece. in my opinion, it's both safer and easier to use than a colts type.

the remington new model army is a solid frame piece with intermiediate hammer positions, which means you can load all six chambers and place the hammer in one of those pisitions and not worry about having a cap under the hammer.

dissassembly is easy.

they're worth getting. stainless is nice if you don't want to worry too much with cleaning it.

They're made by an Italian outfit called "Filli Pietta" (Pietta Brothers). They're generally of very good fit and finish for the money. I have one of their Remington replicas and a couple of 1860 Colt Armys, all in .44 cal. They've given me good service, and they're great fun to plink with.

My father bought one for me when I was about that age, I wanted the 1851 but he insisted that the 58 was going to be easier for me to shoot which it was. I shot it all through highschool and ran about as many balls through it as a kid with a part time job could afford to (meaning quite a bit) and it worked fine for me. It's a good deal for the money.

I have a Cabela's 44 1860 Army by Pietta. Other than the brass finish being a little rough its a well made, well blued and robust pistol.

Be sure to give us a range report!

I have a pair of the Cabelas Pietta Remington New Model Armies that I shoot in CAS competition. These are a very good value. I have other cap and ball revolvers as well but I choose the Remingtons for their ease of cylinder swapping, "Quick Reloads" for competition. I carry ten pre loaded spare uncapped cylinders to the match. That way I don't have to spend all day loading pistols between stages. I have one R&D conversion cylinder for one of the pistols, and I'm going to buy one for the other pistol converting them to .45 Colt. My Remingtons are also very accurate as are most of the New Model Armies.

An update to my last post on this thread. As of last count I now have five of the Pietta Remington New Model Armies four of them from Cabela's. I've been shooting them both as percussion guns and with the R&D conversion cylinders. I've got nothing but praise for these guns. I'm planning on cutting a pair of them down to 51/2 barreled Sheriffs models keeping the other ones with their stock 8 barrels.

Hello Mike!

:) Figured I might run into you here again Mike! Hope all is well with you at the ranch. Glad to see this site is back! I'm jealous! I've only got one Remington Cap n' Ball from Cabela's. It's a great shooter after I rebuilt it, and is one of my favorite C&B's.

Happy and Safe Shooting Friends! Joe

Howdy Joe:
Great to see you again. One of these days either I'm gonna have to come on over to the westside or you're gonna have to come on over here and we'll get together for some shootin. Got plenty of sootburners and I'm now loading BP shotshells. I really like that set of gunbrushes that you sent me I'm still planning on putting together some pictures of them in use cleaning my smokewagons.

I've got a pair of the Uberti 7-1/2" blued that I shoot in SASS with the Taylor's R&D Cylinders. Hate to say it, but they're more accurate than my Ruger Vaqueros that cost me twice as much!

- 0 -

Back