CA safety test, what to expect?

Duzell

well as the title suggests, i have to take the firearms safety test in order for me to get my new pistol, ive reviewed the study guides, but most of the info is mainly general.

i own sidearms already but i have gone past that 5 year mark so time to re-up it.

just wondering if there is something new or i have to do anything different

Do you mean the HSC?
The study guide is the questions. And the answers. If you looked those over you have the whole thing.
You know, the only purpose for that thing is to buy a gun.
Other than that, you will never use it for anything.
dc

It's a straightforward test. Honest questions and answers. It's interesting though to see how many people fail even with the guide to study and sitting there next to you.

If you don't pass you can take it again up to 3 times, IIRC, no extra charge.

tipoc

It's a straightforward test. Honest questions and answers. It's interesting though to see how many people fail even with the guide to study and sitting there next to you.

If you don't pass you can take it again up to 3 times, IIRC, no extra charge.

tipoc

Its also interesting how many people pass that barely look at the study book.

Its common sense stuff really and its all in the booklet.

Disclaimer: Ive never had to take that test (but Ive seen the booklet) because I bought my last pistol in CA the day before that stupid law went into effect.

Is this government mandated test what some Californian's (and anti-gun proponents) call an example of a "reasonable" gun control measure?

Yes. More details please. I left CA decades ago. Is there now a "safety test" you must pass before doing what? Before CCW? Before buying a gun?

Please elaborate on what this test thing is.

Sgt Lumpy

A bit about the test:

Effective January 1, 2003, the Basic Firearms Safety Certificate Program was replaced with the Handgun Safety Certificate Program. These new statutes affect the general public in two principal ways. First, unless exempt, individuals must possess a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) prior to purchasing or acquiring a handgun. Second, unless exempt, individuals must perform a safe handling demonstration prior to taking delivery of a handgun from a licensed dealer.

You can read more here:

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/hscinfo

And the contents (PDF) of the HSC study booklet:

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/hscsg.pdf?

I don't recall when the original BFSC laws went into effect. The original ones you took a written test and showed you knew how to load and unload a handgun. You paid a small fee and were issued a card that was good for life. "Good for Life" turned out to be until this law went into effect.

When they revised it the cards were renewable every 5 years I think. This was to generate more revenue.

No such card or test for long guns.

Folks keep track of these things over to www.calguns.com

tipoc

From what I understand, the test is pretty easy, but I have never had to take it because of the military exemption. I find it kind of amusing because the military has never shown me anything about a handgun, just the M16/M4 and like a couple bigger guns that I got to shoot once way back in combat training.

Sorry Californians, it's time for the big earthquake where the state falls into the ocean. I left there 10 yrs. ago and haven't looked back. The last handgun I purchased there I had to take the mag out of it and rack the slide and reinsert the mag. That really amounted to a big safety test. I think you only flunked it then if you somehow stuck the barrel in your mouth in the process.

I read the study test on the CA DOJ website over ten years ago, when I went to take the test I realized I wasted my time.

Folks, these are beyond common sense questions. Just over five years ago I renewed my HSC and did not bother reading the study guide. By the way I did not miss one question either time I took the test.

The only reason I renewed my HSC was my intent of a new purchase. I think my HSC was expired by a few months at the time.

SgtLumpy, The HSC test is to purchase new handguns, you may not purchase a new handguns without it. Long guns on the other hand do not require a HSC. Nothing but a "feel good" law drummed up by some anti gun thugs!

The HSC is nothing more than a revenue source for CA. It does nothing to provide any education or "safety" for the state!

Just curious. Is not taking the test a chargeable offense that can be tacked on if someone acquires a gun through other than legal means? Is any record of the test kept anywhere or is it just a check box on a dealer's to-do list?

I haven't purchased a handgun in CA since the law and bid the state farewell in 2005.

I was in CA until late 2003 and purchased several handguns before that without taking any tests ... is it true this started in '94? How did I avoid the paperwork? Bought two handguns, both from a dealer, went through the background check, etc.

I had to get a different one around 97-98. I think it was sometime around 2003 that they switched to the current version.

I was in CA until late 2003 and purchased several handguns before that without taking any tests ... is it true this started in '94? How did I avoid the paperwork? Bought two handguns, both from a dealer, went through the background check, etc.

If you click on what I provided above, you'd see that it did start in 94. Its pdf pg 4 in the link.

LEO and military are exempt (of course) or if you had a hunting license you'd be exempt (or maybe a hunters' safety certificate or something like that).

Those are the one off the top of my head that are exempt.

Well if it was a legit FFL you didn't avoid it. You may not recall it is all.

I was living out of state till the late 90s when I returned. The first handgun I purchased here, that was effected by these laws was in 2001. Long guns weren't effected. I had to show I could load and unload a handgun and there were some papers to sign. I don't recall a test at that time other than gun handling and safety. You were also supposed to have a lock for the gun. They gave you a BFSC card showing you had passed the test and could purchase a handgun. Without the card, no purchase, new or used.

It's possible a FFL avoided this for a period of time. But not for long if they wanted to stay in business.

Just curious. Is not taking the test a chargeable offense that can be tacked on if someone acquires a gun through other than legal means? Is any record of the test kept anywhere or is it just a check box on a dealer's to-do list?

Well it's a two part question. Do you mean if you stole a gun and used it to commit a murder that you'd be worried the state would charge you with not taking a test? I think the test just covers the legal purchase of a pistol or revolver. How else it might be used I don't know.

It's onerous extra paperwork and record keeping for the FFLs.

The test goes to the state the results are recorded online and a record kept with the Calif. DOJ as to who has taken the test and has a card, etc. The cards are issued by the state and have an ID number. Forms are issued to each gunstore and filled out for the individuals by the store.

Folks over to CalGuns would know more than I do. Many knowledgeable opponents of these laws reside there.

tipoc

Last edited:

The initial handgun regulation law was passed in 1994. The requirement for HSC went into effect in 2003.

The growing concern over the number of accidental handgun shootings, especially those involving children, prompted passage of the initial handgun safety law which went into effect in 1994........

Effective January 1, 2003, pursuant to Section 12071 PC, any person who acquires a handgun must have an HSC obtained by passing a written test on handgun safety.

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/hscman.pdf?
Introduction

The link Dane posted is useful. There is also more information there at calguns which folks, who care to know more can find there.

I posted a link to the test earlier in this thread in PDF format.

Folks sometimes refer to the questions as "common sense" ones and simple. But they are only "common" or simple if you know something about guns, ammo and taking tests. If you don't it's new to you.

A lot of the questions folks get wrong are the same questions newbs come to gun forums to ask all the time. Some are questions experienced shooters simply forget.

It's not hard to pass the test. They provide you with a booklet to study and if you fail you can take it again with no charge. They let you know what questions you missed. They don't make the test itself a barrier to access to guns. But it is a tax on gun ownership and a source of revenue for the state.

tipoc

The HSC has another function that came to light recently.
When you hear some dingbat whining about how, in California, you can just walk in and buy a gun, and you have to get no training, there is no test, and it's just so horrible, you have no training like the "highly trained" military (see above) or the "highly trained and highly skillful" leos, you can say, whoa, know it all. They moan and groan, oh, you don't even have to know anything about safety, or how to not fire the gun, or ... Well, again, you can say whoa, ...
Not true.
And they may well be on the first step of the road to learning something truthful about firearms.
And like someone else pointed out, while the questions are simple to so many of us, those new to firearms use actually do need to learn, as they don't know, some of the answers to the questions.
dc

Back