CA Handgun certification re: Ruger SA Revolvers

There is an exemption for certain single actions-ones manufactured before the turn of the century, I think. I assume that this includes replicas, though one could argue about whether the Ruger SAs are replicas. (The Vaquero, maybe, but Blackhawks, I don't think so). This exemption is another of the really vague rules that pop up in CA gun legislation. When the "assault gun" bill was passed, there was some question whether lever guns that held more than ten rounds in the tube magazine were legal or not. I have yet to hear anything definitive on that issue, even though the Single Action Shooting Society claims that they're OK.

Bill

Here's an excerpt from SB15 as it relates to SA sixguns;

12133. The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to a
single-action revolver that has at least a five-cartridge capacity with a barrel length of not less than three inches, and meets any of the following specifications:
(a) Was originally manufactured prior to 1900 and is a curio or relic, as defined in Section 178.11 of Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
(b) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled.
(c) Has an overall length measured parallel to the barrel of at least seven and one-half inches when the handle, frame or receiver, and barrel are assembled and that is currently approved for importation into the United States pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (3) of subsection (d) of Section 925 of Title 18 of the
United States Code.

The length limits were put there specifically to screw over the minirevolvers (mainly NAA plus the old FAs). The five-shot limit was to screw Derringers.

NAA Minirevolvers and AmerDerringers were declared "junk" in several of the city and county ordinances that were ancestors to the eventual state-level "junk gun law". The all-stainless American Derringer two-shots were another high-quality type of arm banned for the *stated* reason that they're "junk", but in reality it was because they were highly concealable.

Typical grabber BS. If they wanted to ban concealables, they could at least have debated that point head on. Instead, they lie and call high-quality (but small) arms "junk".

Bastards.

Anyways, Ruger SAs plus the various Italian SAAs, the current FAs all come out fine. There may have been a Cimmaron variant with bird's-head grip and 3" or so "Sheriff's Model" barrel that might come in under the 7.5" overall length rule but if you bought the same gun with a 4" tube and had a gunsmith cut it down, you'd be OK. Likewise, it may be possible to build a short-barreled Vaquero with bird's-head on a gun you own that comes out shorter than 7.5". Still OK to own it, but if you sold it to a dealer, he couldn't sell it in-state, he'd have to sell it out of state.

You couldn't buy a Gary Reeder customized mini-Ruger (2" barrel, really short bird's-head) from him on a gun he bought and built up. You'd have to buy a full-sized gun, ship it to him, have him send it back shrunk.

Jim

Back