C. Sharps - opinions?

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
An issue of Rifle Magazine has good things to say about the company.

I have located one in .45-70 at a good price.

Thoughts?

Giz

What have you located? 1875,1874 or Highwall? And what is a good price? The market value on C. Sharps is typically lower than Shiloh.

Yea... what AC Asked? Plus what kind of sights, bbl length and weight, what other options?

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited June 04, 2000).]

Hi guys,
It's a C. Sharps Arms 1875 Saddle rifle in .45-70 Govt., 26" octagon barrel. Receiver finished in French Grey. German silver forend cap. Checkered steel buttplate. Mid range vernier sight. Price is about $1400.

Giz

Al,

Don't know nothing about 1875 as I've the the previous year's model ;) . Also don't know priceing of C. Sharps. When I've talked to people my understanding is that C. while a faithfull reproduction isn't as traditional as Shiloh (when I talked to C. themselves you can use duplex loads in all their rifles... Shiloh DOES NOT recommend doing so in there's (BP only except for their 45-70s). Both Shiloh and C. are Fine rifles. Now, that said....

You may want to check out Sharps Rifle Sales. They "distribute" (re... stock) Shiloh Rifles. The Site has links for rifle priceing and features priceing.

Sounds like it is not that bad of a deal.

Schmit,

There is one fundamental difference between Shiloh and C. Sharps. C. Sharps are rated for much higher pressures than a Shiloh. You can use any smokeless load in a C. Sharps that you can use in a Ruger #1 while Shiloh is limited to black powder equivalents or maybe just a tad hotter.

I don't think you need a hotter load in a 500 grain .45 slug unless you are going after rogue elephants, lightly armored vehicles or brown bears or sumptin - but its there for you.

Based on black powder silhouette shooting records, it looks like Shiloh holds the clear accuracy advantage.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Back