C&R while working at a gun shop?

Modeler

Inactive
Hi, new here... Yesterday I filled out and mailed off my first Form 7CR to get my C&R. On question 11(D), 'have you ever been employed by an FFL' I answered "yes", as I work part time at a local gun shop. I attached a letter explaining my employment and listing my employer's license number and stated that my application was for personal use and collecting only and was unrelated to my employment.

Elsewhere in the form it stated that I could be denied a C&R license for answering "yes" to any of the questions in sections 11, 12 & 13. Could I really be denied a C&R for working in a gun shop? If so, why?

c&r

I called atf center and asked them they said no for number 11 just make sure you add the additional info on extra piece of paper. Not sure if thats guaranteed or not . Someone else thats has applied might be able to give personel expierience

I work part time at a shooting range that has an FFL. I provided the same info as the OP and I have my C&R at home and have renewed it once as well.

Just curious, is that a recently added question? Granted it's been a long time since I first filled out the application for my license, but I don't remember being asked if I have ever been employed by a FFL licensed dealer.

There are several things about that form I don't understand. They refer to a business, yet a C&R license is specifically NOT for a business. Then they give space for the names of others involved in the "business". Is a Type 3 FFL (C&R license) ever issued to a group or corporation? Maybe a museum? I don't know, but I had always been told that it was for individuals, and most of the rules assume the collector is an individual who engages in collecting activities in his or her own home.

Anyone care to enlighten me, or do I call BATFE if I really want to know?

Jim

I was wondering the same thing Jim, I used the instructions on the Garand Gear website to fill it out. I had considered putting my NFA Trust as the applicant, but couldn't come up with a good reason why. Besides, I would have had to get signatures from the trustees.

I guess I'll find out answers to my questions in a few weeks.

So, perhaps it's a means to find out who may be more apt to engage in the prohibited business of selling C&R firearms, triggering scrutiny.

My C&R renewals have always asked how many firearms were purchased in the term of the previous permit, and how many were sold.

Haven't sold a one myself, but if someone reported half of their purchases were transferred away, that could be a red flag.

I spent the weekend working at the gun show in Puyallup, Washington. Picked up a case of spam can 7.62x54R; I couldn't help myself. Drooling over one of the laminated stock hex-receiver Mosin's on the Classic Firearms website now.

It has begun :eek:

Got home this evening after being gone for the weekend and my shiny new C&R was in the mailbox! I guess it's ok to have a C&R if you work for an FFL after all.

The ATF is trying to trip people up so it can deny the license. Just read carefully and answer it honestly and you'll have no problems.

Back