C & R license - questions from new forum user

sandw3844

Hello. I am new to the forum. Was interested in maybe getting a C&R license. The process sounds pretty simple, except maybe for New Jersey from the post I was reading earlier.

Question is, what are the pitfalls and downsides of getting one?

Any horror stories that I need to be aware of?

Anything special I need to do (or not do) in the application and licensing process?

Any real benefit - I know certain firermas can be purchased, and one source indicated possible discounts from certain vendors on non-firearm related items - but do these things really pan out, and if so, are they worth the expense and trouble?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, comments, stories, and advice!

sandw3844

Any horror stories that I need to be aware of?

Only those you tell us when you've spent too much $$$$:D

Best $30 you will ever spend. I covered the cost of mine with my first purchase. I estimate I saved $200-300 that first year.

Other than the ones posted above, there are two other "down-sides", you need to judge for yourself how important they are.
1. Your local police will now know that you might have an "arsenal" in your basement.
2. The ATF/Fed. Govt. will know you have guns, and they will have the right to inspect your collection once a year.
I weighed those and still got and renewed my C&R. Over the years the discounts have paid for the license, and I get to receive guns at home. Yay!!!

to jonnyc and dogtown tom: Thanks for the insight.

Also, any good source(s) where C&R firearms can be (reasonably) purchased?

Thanks.

except maybe for New Jersey from the post I was reading earlier.

Are you from Jersey? (what exit?)

I thought that a C&R was worthless if you live in Jersey as they won't allow you to have any guns delivered to your home. Best to check that law out carefully before hand.

As far as the BATF audit of your guns, if they want to look at your bound book and guns they are only allowed to look at you C&R firearms. Also, I have had my license for over 10 years and have never been audited. Knock on wood!!! I have heard many instances where all they wanted to do was look at a persons bound book, not even the guns. They call in advance and set up an appointment at either your residence or their office.

Unless you live in an area where the CLEO is a real anti-gun hard ass, your copy of the application sent to him as per the directions with your application packet will probably be filed in the large round file cabinet. It's a BATF formality that many CLEOs pay little or no attention to. Some guys make it a much bigger deal than it is. All you are required to do is send it to the CLEO. You are not required to hand deliver it, send it registered mail, or any other special handeling.

The biggest down side is finding enough room in your safe for the C&R goodies you will just have to have!!!
Good luck, and welcome to the C&R addition!!!

And now for the rest of the story.
Yes, several mail order and on-line businesses offer a discount with your Class 03 FFL, Midway USA, Graf and Sons to name a couple.
Here is a great forum that deals with C&R firearms, and has links to many distributors. http://milsurpshooter.net/

The only real pitfall is into the money pit. Personally, I can resist anything but temptation, and I have a taste for older firearms, so I'm doomed to have a safe full of toys and a bank account empty of funds.

But they're such fine toys. And you get them wholesale, and delivered to your door. What's not to love?

Yep it started with a single Mosin Nagant 91/30. I know have 9 Mosin Nagants, and SKS, a K98, a CZ52, a CZ82, 2 M95's, 2 Lee Enfields, am am looking for a deal on a Swiss K31. My checking account is crying ever since I got that C&R.

DON'T DO IT! (GRIN)

Not necessarily a downfall but interesting none the less. After Katrina, it took about 5 weeks for my phone service to be restored. The very first call I recieved was from the ATF wanting to know the condition of my C&R collection (Sistema and CZ52). I assured them they rode the storm out fine in my safe and they were satisified. Two weeks later I got a call from a different agent wanting to know the same thing.

The only real pitfall is into the money pit. Personally, I can resist anything but temptation, and I have a taste for older firearms, so I'm doomed to have a safe full of toys and a bank account empty of funds.

But they're such fine toys. And you get them wholesale, and delivered to your door. What's not to love?

Ain't it great!!!!!:cool: Sort of like having a beer taste with a beer pocketbook.
Best of both worlds:eek: I'm broke too but toy rich

I just moved and got my renewed license. I need to send out copies to vendors again; I forgot what to do :-(. I know I need to make copies and then sign those. Do I need to send anything else? Copies of my driver's license, perhaps?

Just signed copies. Also the rules were changes a while back to allow a FAX copy. Some distributors accept it, some don't. Maybe call first.

Sandw3844 By all means get that C&R I am on my second renewal and I am not sorry. The best 30 bucks I ever spent. Stop worrying about the ATF They may come a calling,they may not They tend to key on those they know are abusing this license.(you cannot make it a business. C&R is collectors only)
You will find that they are very polite, and extremely helpful I know someone who started off with a C&R, went to #1 FFL, and is now an importer. His oldest daughter Jill just went to work for them as an investigator. Just obey the law, and remember this license only covers C&R guns. If you were to get a modern weapon the dealer has to do the NICS on you If you have a C&R it is a mere formality. You are still bound by all local gun laws, and if you break any of them your C&R is gone automatically, and so are your guns. I personally keep my collection small,but I buy or trade every so often
Oh one more thing stay on top of your paperwork (Bound book), and keep it up to date. Good Luck and keep us in the loop Sfc Mac

Back