C+R license dumb questions.

Tomh

Inactive
I have been considering getting a c+r license for awhile, but when looking on the internet, it all seems like a big sales pitch. What is the best way to go about getting one, and can someone who just wants to buy stuff, with no intention of being a dealer, get one?

A C&R license is not for dealing. It is for collecting. It allows you to purchase Curio and Relic firearms (generally either considered collectible or over 50 years old) and have that firearm shipped to your home. You cannot buy modern weapons with it.

To get one, go to the forms page of ATF's website and request the forms be sent you you.

http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm

I believe you need "F 5310.16 (F7CR)" (FFL Application), "F 5330.20" (Citizenship) and "FBI FD-258FA" (fingerprints).

Last edited:
Got mine a couple weeks ago. It has to be the original forms they send; sending in that wonderful PDF someone on CalGuns made unfortunately will not work.

The only form you need is F 5310.16 (F7CR) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms, no others.

C & R Mailings

The nice thing about the C& R License....you send a copy to the C&R gun stores
and you are on their mailing lists.

and this means I can purchase off the web? What about when I buy from a local gun shop? do I still fill out paperwork for every gun I buy?

At the local shop, you still need to fill out paperwork for non C&R guns. Depending on your state tax laws, it will defer sales tax on the C&R guns because it is considered a transfer instead of a purchase. This means you can get a little bit of ammo added for the same price of not having C&R.

I should add that if you are able, pay an extra 250 for a full ffl. this will pay for itslef quickly as you can buy guns straight from the manufacture and save a ton from cutting out the dealers. The purchase of my first two guns after obtaining my ffl payed for my upgrade.

I should add that if you are able, pay an extra 250 for a full ffl. this will pay for itslef quickly as you can buy guns straight from the manufacture and save a ton from cutting out the dealers. The purchase of my first two guns after obtaining my ffl payed for my upgrade.

I was under the impression that you needed to have a storefront to obtain an 01FFL is this true?

Having a storefront is not, and never has been an ATF requirement.

No, but having to actually engage in selling firearms in not a myth. Getting an 01-FFL just to buy guns withouth having to use a dealer will get you charged with tax evasion and perjury. This is what is sounds like Natertot84 is doing. He never mentions having to operate an actual business.

Back