C&R in 45acp

dolidog2000

Inactive
Is there such a thing as a C&R pistiol or revolver that will fire 45acp? Can't a 9x19 case be trimmed to 9x18 & reloaded for use in a CZ?

Older 1911s that meet the age criteria and newer ones that have been deemed to be Curios by the BATF are C&R. There are older .45ACP revolvers, I believe, that meet the C&R criteria. The 9 x 19 and the 9 x 18 have different case and bullet diameters, the 9 x 19 being the smaller of the two.

As far as using resized 9x19 cases for 9x18 reloads, there is some good information on makarov.com (http://makarov.com/makload.html), that confirms that this is a common and save practice. While the bullet diameter of a 9x19 is indeed smaller than 9x18, the 9x19 case tapers, so it's possible to use (trimmed).

Under the 50 year rule, all WWI M1911s and WWII M1911A1s are C&R, as well as Argentine Sistema Colts, Colts sold to Argentina, Argentine Ballester Molina/Ballester Rigaud pistols, and Norwegian Model 1914s. Colt Government Model (commercial) guns made before 1961 are also C&R. All S&W and Colt M1917 revolvers and many later revolvers made up to 1960 are also in C&R status. (I don't think the Ruger convertibles are there yet, but they will be in a couple of years.)

Jim

You can trim and resize 9x19 case for the 9x18 round. I have used many of the resized cases myself.... 1st trim to length, then resize with 9x18 die. As stated before.... good info at makarov.com

Last edited:
I resize and decap my 9x19 (Lyman trimmer works best with no primer, then I expand the case mouth, then I trim. Flared case mouth makes the trimming go easier.

Back