C&R and local dealers

mapsjanhere

While waiting for my C&R, one quick question. Do local dealers typically accept a C&R license, or do you still have to (by law or by dealer's choice) have to do a regular over-the-counter sale?

C&R Usage

Your C&R License allows you to purchase "antique" firearms from many of the same sources your dealer purchases from. Therefore you purchase through the mail and bypass the dealers mark up and fees. There may or may not be a savings by doing this; your dealer my purchase C&R firearms in quantity and get a further discount that he passes on to his customers.

A side benefit of the C&R License is you can register as a FFL Holder with many mail order firms and get a discount on other items beside firearms. Midway USA is a good example. Register your FFL with them and you get a small discount (generally it will cover handling and shipping fees). This may not be much on an individual order, but over the course of a year it adds up.

My gun shop takes my C&R when he has something I want. Handguns with the added shipping are only a little more at his shop. Plus I get to see before I buy. I give him a copy of my license and he puts it in his book as being sold to a C&R holder.

TK

Whether any dealer in particular will accept your 03 for local purchases is a question that can only be answered by presenting it. Some do some do not and although they SHOULD honor an 03 there is no way to force an FFL dealer to do something they don't want to do.

Guns are somewhat like cars, there is NO standard price. Dealers who buy more from the distributor/importer get a better price than those who buy fewer. Normally, an O3 will get a decent discount from importers and secondary dealers relative to the full recommended price but not always so you just have to do your homework first.

By law, once you have provided a signed copy of your license to a dealer, you don't have to provide another one for subsequent purchases until the expiration date changes. That too is often overlooked by certain dealers we all pretend we don't buy stuff from.

And your 03 is for 50 year old guns and anything on the list, not "antiques" which would be anything with a receiver date prior to 1899. Antiques do not require a license.

The only thing a C&R has done for me when presented to a local dealer is bypass the background check. Here in Texas, that saves me a whopping 10 minutes.

Watch the terminology, folks. An "antique" and a "Curio and Relic" are two different legal categories. An antique (made prior to 1899) can be transferred with (usually) no restrictions at all, and no paperwork. A C&R. under the federal law, can be transferred between C&R License holders but must be logged in the licensee's book.

But not all states recognize the C&R FFL, especially for handguns. Holders must go through the same paperwork as anyone else in a transfer, and cannot have C&R handguns shipped directly to them from out of state.

Jim

Thanks for the answers. Guess I have to look up my local rules. The reason I'm interested in the background check issue is mainly for gun shows, for some reason I'm on permanent "delay", not an issue with my regular FFL, but it blows to hang around at the gun show and hope they will call back (usually in an hour, but I had one incident of 24 h, killing the possibility of buying at a gun show).

From my 1 experience (which was at a gun show), the dealer didn't accept my C&R FFL but he ate the fee for the background check that HE wanted to do anyway. I'd probably do the same thing if I were in his place.

The only thing a C&R has done for me when presented to a local dealer is bypass the background check. Here in Texas, that saves me a whopping 10 minutes.

Same with me, except that for some reason, my NICS check always takes longer because they insist on some kind of secondary check. I offer them the choice of my C&R or my CCW permit. Most of them would rather take my CCW permit - I still have to fill out the form, but there's no phone call, which is a big time saver.

Thankfully, there's no state or local rigamarole to go through here in Idaho.

From my 1 experience (which was at a gun show), the dealer didn't accept my C&R FFL but he ate the fee for the background check that HE wanted to do anyway. I'd probably do the same thing if I were in his place.

I have to ask why? You presented a C & R License in your name, and had your ID showing the same address as the license showed? So, unless he didn't know anything about firearms licenses, he'd know you went through a background check to get the license. It's about the same as the states that allow concealed carry license holders to by-pass a background check.

Would he require a background check from a fellow Class 1 FFL holder? I doubt it very much.

I have to ask why? You presented a C & R License in your name, and had your ID showing the same address as the license showed? So, unless he didn't know anything about firearms licenses, he'd know you went through a background check to get the license. It's about the same as the states that allow concealed carry license holders to by-pass a background check.

Would he require a background check from a fellow Class 1 FFL holder? I doubt it very much.

That's how it goes at gun shows. It's not an 03FFL thing, it's a gun show thing. I've got a friend who owns a pawn shop and he's run into cases where his 01FFL is not accepted at gun shows because the dealer has to call an 800 number to verify the license...so it's just as easy to call in the NCIS check.

What the dealers at our local shows want to see is a CCW permit. Then there's no call at all.

Back